Which do you let handle the DD/dts decoding?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Leo, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Do you let your receiver or you DVD player do the DD/DTS decoding? I picked up a Denon 2200 recently and believe it has much better DAC's than my Yamaha RX-V995. I have the 6 analog connections made and a coax digital connection made. Should I use the 6 analog out an let my Denon do the decoding?

2. John S

John S Producer

Well when I seen the subject, I right away thought, which ever has the best DACs....

So, I think you would have to give it a shot.

Heck if you do that, ya may as well get some SACD material too. :)

3. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well I'll play around with it and see what I like best. Oh and I have plenty of SACD's. [​IMG] I use them on my headphone rig (Sony 222ES, JPS Labs Superconductor FX, Grado RS-1 and Grado RA-1) My headphone setup

4. John S

John S Producer

Well heck get em out of the headphones and on your audio system!!! lol

I think since you said that, I would do it that way period.

I am getting ready to enter into the sacd world myself. Very soon, Well within a month or so anyways.

(I kind of need to recover from the financial devistation of upgrading to a 60" HDTV first)

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

You would want to use whatever device had the best DACs, but another point to consider is Bass Management.

Many uni-players have poor BM. If you have a rig that requires BM, I would say that poor BM will be much more audible than differences between DACs.

I don't know how effective the BM is in the 2200, but since you have both connections, its easy enough to compare and pick the device that provides the best overall sound with your rig.

Since the 2200 is a newer player, it will have potentially better BM than the 1st generation of uni-players. Having said that, there are very few DD/DTS receivers that have poor BM, so its a safe bet that the receiver will get it right.

BGL

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For movies, I would let the receiver do the decoding. For Audio, I would let the 2200 take care of that portion. That is how I am using my 2200. I also have a 222ES and it is a noticably better SACD player.

7. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well the Denon 2200 has a crossover of 80Hz while the Yamaha 995 has a crossover of 90Hz.

I use the headphone rig for only 2 channel listening - I can enjoy my music and not disturb others around me. Once you've heard this rig, you'll understand why the headphones rock. But I use the home theater room for movies and multi-channel music.

8. Derek N

Derek N Agent

John Garcia in your quote, "I also have a 222ES and it is a noticably better SACD player." where you refering to the 222ES or the previously mention 2200?

I am considering buying a 2200 to get a better DVD player than my sony but also to hear the DVD-A option. I currently have the 222ES and enjoy it quite a bit. Just curious on your thoughts since you own both already. What role does each play in your system?

Mind you I haven't figured out how both will coexist with only one 6/8 channel input, but that may be mute if the 2200 is better in SACD.

Others feel free to chime in if you own both or have integrate the 2200 into similiar systems.
    Thanks
    Derek

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

The choice of crossover is one part of it (FWIW, 80 Hz is a good choice for all be very small main speakers), but its how the players handles bass redirection that tends to trip up some machines.

I really don't know the 2200, so you will need to perhaps search "2200 BM" to find some real user reports.

The key is to make sure that the BM redirects bass from where its not wanted to were it is. If you have a common set-up of 5 speakers that are not truly full range (response down perhaps to 70 Hz or so) plus a sub, you want to be sure that when set to Small Speakers/Sub On that all bass below the crossover is stripped out of the mains and sent to the sub.

For users with large speakers and no sub (a minority to be sure) then BM needs to redirect the .1 channel to the mains. Most players seem to get that wrong, for whatever reason.

BGL

10. Leo

Leo Second Unit

BGL,

I'm using the PSB Image series (1B 60-21,000Hz, 4T 38-21,000Hz, 8C 55-21,000Hz) and Patrick Sun SBS (Sun Box Sub). I usually do a Small setting on these speakers. Your thoughts?

11. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Plus the distance management in most players is less capable than most receivers.

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I concur with your settings.

In my rig, I have B&W 604s, 601s, and a CC6, plus a HSU 1225 sub. I cross at 80 Hz all around.

I am an advocate of crossing over all mains, even if they are bass capable. That said, there is lots of debate about that, but I feel going this route allows one to optimally place the sub for best bass response and place the main channels for best imaging.

BGL