What's new

Which DLP RPTV do you recommend (1 Viewer)

bernard_m

Auditioning
Hi,

I have a Toshiba 56H80 and am considering getting a new DLP model. I would appreciate feedack from the members of this forum.

1. Which make/model do you think is best?
2. I hear you may have to replace the lamp on these models every two years or so. Is this true and how much will this cost?

Thanks for any feedback.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
With all the flat panel technologies available and front projections systems being so inexpensive, I would have a hard time justifying rear projection as a serious solution (either technically or financially).

Keep digging. I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

Happy Holidays!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you do want to buy DLP, make sure you are not susceptible to the Rainbow Effect. Caused by the color wheel that single chip DLP displays use to create color. Some people see it, some don't. LCD RPs always have 3 chips, so do not suffer from this. But usually, plasma has better blacks, contrast, off-angle viewing, etc, than either LCD or DLP RPs.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend Sony SXRD. Simply the BEST RPTV technology available.

I don't recommend DLP. There's a LOT of hype. Harder to calibrate, downconversion artifacts, etc.

Sony's LCD solutions are also top notch if SXRD is too rich for your tastes.

Philip Morello

Auditioning
I'm also in the market for a TV soon, and my conclusion[well sort of] was the Sony SXRD[Lycos] as well but I wouldn't discount DLP at all especially for better black levels, and tad bit more uniform picture towards the edges.The screen door effect on most LCD TV's including from Sony was just too much for me to consider it at all.
YMMV

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

SXRD has near perfect black level, much more than any DLP I've tried to calibrate. The 2 megapixel image has yet to be beaten, even DVD (especially thru HDMI) looks phenomenal.

3 IEEE1394 ports, TWO HDMIs, VGA, Cable Card, Twin View, the feature list is also as impressive as the picture. If you have the means: GRAB THIS TV!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I've been lusting after this set for awhile now as a replacement for my Toshiba 56H80. I'm hanging onto my Toshiba for another year or so, hoping the price on the Sony LCoS models continue to drop. I'm also holding out for a model that accepts a 1080p signal. I may not need such a feature for awhile, but I'd rather have it "just in case".

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Sony's SXRD is a cut above "typical" LCD RP. To be honest, I kind of wish they'd do a 42" version to give plasma some competition at that size. ;)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Someday. Not this year. Perhaps next year. :)

BTW: a Sony rep told me that they WILL accept a 1080p signal. HOWEVER the TV downconverts it to 1080i and then scales that back to the 1080p native resolution. He admitted it's a bass-ackwards way of doing it but there was simply no 1080p devices on the market to test the chipset with.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That's pretty dumb, IMO. As I said above, I'll wait until they come out with a model that handles 1080p signals properly. I may not need the feature anytime soon, but I would like to make my next set as "future-proof" as possible (I was burned on DVI/HDMI last time), and my current Toshiba 56H80 is still working fine. I can afford to wait.

Fernand S

Auditioning
You can do what I did. I bought a Toshiba 46HM94. This is a great DLP. I'm more than happy with this purchase. This TV will cover all your 720p needs. Then when the technology offers more room for 1080p to expand, you'll see that there will be more affordable sets. Plus LCoS will be cheaper! :D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

Actually, this is sort of a good thing. I would then think that "next year's model" will keep it 1080p all the way. The capability is already there.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Get an HP 5880 or 6580 DLP they both accept 1080p through HDMI now. Great reviews, do a search

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks