which DIY sub would be the best bet?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by drexel, May 2, 2003.

1. drexel

drexel Agent

After scrolling through the infamous "Sonotube Links Page," I still leave feeling overwhelmed and confused with all the complicated subwoofer craziness. If I mustered up around 300 bucks, what would be the components of the best sub I could throw together (preferably without having to construct my own enclosure)? After browsing through all those sonotube links, I was wondering if anyone actually tried to re-create any of those subs with favorable results?

Whether it be a traditional box sub or a sonotube, what components would you guys recommend and where would I go about finding everything I need to easily construct my own subwoofer for around $300?

2. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

Hey... I found Patrick's guides to be very helpful (in general) since he has hundreds of pictures to show you step by step what to do. Here's my very quick overview of the one I just finished...similar (kind of) to one of his.

Here are the few major components I used (parts express)

1x #300-794 - 250w Subwoofer Amplifier - $128.00
    1x #295-402 - Dayton 12" Titanic MKII 4 ohm Driver - $149.80
    1x #268-352 - PRECISION PORT 4" FLARED PORT TUBE - $13.90 [​IMG]

If you want, I think someone can pre-cut the endcaps for you, which I saw in another thread. Unless you have a router w/ circle jig...they took a while for me to do even with that.

3. Gregg Roszkowski

I've built two sono subs. One 24" w/Tempest (16HZ)and one 18" w/Shiva (20HZ). I basically went off of Patman's sub design, but changed a few exterior features and, of course, volumes. They both turned out great! It really depends on what you are looking for. Deep thunderous bass or tight AK-47 type punch. The Shiva really works well for the tight bass in the design we used and the same for the Tempest. It shakes the whole house! Even makes my garage door hummmmmm.

There are a lot of great desings out there and now even better drivers and amps than when I built mine. I don't think you can go wrong with a sono sub, but that is my opinion. If I try my hand at another sub it will probably be an infinite baffle, seeing how I'm in the process of building another house with a deticated home theater room.

Good luck and HAVE FUN doing it!

Gregg

4. Gregg Roszkowski

Oh, The 18" sono sub w/Shiva cost $324 dollars to build and I know that Home Depot has precut mdf end caps and I'm sure they would probably cut some to your dimensions. That way you wouldn't have to buy a router, but it is really easy. Really! You could do it. Don't forget your ear plugs![​IMG]

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Those MDF circles must be a local thing becaue my Home Depot definitely doesn't have precut MDF circles. My Lowes has 18" Pine circles though.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I've seen particle board circles, but not actual MDF.

7. drexel

drexel Agent

After thinking it over for the past couple of days... straight... I've decided I will probably build a sonosub with the Shiva and either build a duplicate sub with it or later on down the line. I just have a few variables to fill in before I decide what I will build.

1. Which Amp?: I was originally thinking along the lines of the PE 300-792... but that was mostly because I wasn't planning on attaching an amplifier to the subwoofer and wanted an independently sealed amp. I would like the PE 250W amp, but I guess I was dissuaded by the exposed "internals" of the amp. Should I stick it out and get the 250W amp and make my own box?

2. Which Sonotube Diameter and Length?: I guess this is the question most debated within each DIYer's mind as they decide on their preferences in audio that could influence one of their biggest HT decisions they've ever made. Keeping in mind that I'll probably make 2 subs, what should my measurements be if I like it loud as a mother? I love watching movies and the rumbles of the explosions and Buzz Lightyear jet packs, and my musical preferences are swayed toward Hip-Hop and R&B with deep exhausting bass lines. I don't mind going tall, but I'd prefer 18" or thinner. What Diameter and Length do you suggest to get the most from my sub?

3. Port Size and Length?: This variable pretty much coincides with the previous question, but what port size and length would you pair with your particular subwoofer suggestion for me? Also, would you have the port and driver both on the bottom, or driver on the bottom and port on top?

-thanks for your help guys...

8. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

I made a box for my PE250w amp...12x12x5" worked out nicely, and Pat even has a guide!!! with pictures [​IMG]

9. Frank Mowry

Frank Mowry Stunt Coordinator

Shiva, PE 250, 4 inch flared port (full length) here.

20 inch diameter sonotube, 24 inches tall. I built a small box to house the amp. Covered the tube with black speaker box carpet from PE. Painted the endcaps hammered black.

Email me at [email protected] and I can mail you pics or maybe I'll post them later this week (haven't taken any yet).

According to WinISD it is tuned to 20.5 Hz.

I watched Spiderman last night as my first movie. Haven't calibrated my whole system again yet but it sounds great. Will have to load up U571 and Saving Private Ryan this weekend.

Keep an eye out at this forums Hardware FS or the SoundDomain Cool Classifieds. You can find used Shiva's for 75-85 and used Tempests at 100-110.

Frank

10. Gregg Roszkowski

The PE 250 would work just fine. That is what I'm using. Just build yourself a box for it.

Either sub that you decide to make will be loud as a mother, you just need to decide if you want it low and rumbling or tight and crisp. Sounds to me like you want a low thunderous tube. If so you will need a very tall 18" tube (48" or so) will get around 20Hz., give or take, but someone will have to run the numbers for you. My 24" tube is aprox. 39.6" long not counting legs and end caps.

You might be able to one of these nice fellows to desigh you a sub if you ask one of them or you could use the plans of one of the others and recreate it. It should give you the volume ot the tube and the length of the port and you can mount the drive and the port out the bottom if there is room, or you can port it out the top. That is the way we ported the 18" shive tube we made, right out of the top. If you have a small place (1500 sq ft house) this sub will do you well, it just depends on what you want it tuned to.

I'll see if I can get you some numbers.

11. drexel

drexel Agent

I decided I'm definitely going with the PE 250W amp... especially since seeing Patman's directions.

I'd like to have the sub tuned to around 20Hz, like you said, but I most definitely don't want to sacrifice too much spl just so I can feel 4Hz vibrations. I surely want it low and thunderous, but I would like it to stand its own when competing with my 12" floor speakers to fill my room with bass.

I'm just not sure exactly what dimensions to use yet and which dimensions yield what output. That 4' tall 18"er sounded viable... what difference could I expect if I went shorter and wider... or the same diameter and took it down to 36"?

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wow, someone else actually checked out my PAB page. [​IMG]

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

So Pat, any new projects on the horizon? You've been waaaaayyyy too quite over the last 6 months.

14. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

Pat I found it on Google. How come you don't have it linked from your site!? [​IMG]

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's on my DIY Project page (link my signature below).

I dunno about my next project, I'm sort of sated for the moment.

16. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

drexel
    if you are gonna go with a shiva go to adire's website and download lspcad. then go here and read. then go and play with lspcad.

17. drexel

drexel Agent

the newest version of lspcad only has a demo of a different driver. Is there somewhere I can get the full version or the demo with the shiva as an example?

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

You have to download it from the Adire website.