Which DIY side / surround speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_S, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi again,

OK, now that I've nailed down my sonosub details (dual Tempest sub), the only speakers I'll still need to decide on will be side or surround speakers.

I'm pretty confused on whether or not I should look into bipole speakers or just plain bookshelf ones. Let me itemize how my system is shaping up and if someone could give me some guidance in completing an eventual 7.1 setup, I'd appreciate it.

Current Mains are ACI Saphire IIIs

Current Center is a modified NorthCreekMusic Rhythm

Eventual Mains are NorthCreekMusic Rhythms

When I eventually build the Rhythms the Saphire IIIs will become either sides or surrounds.

I am currently using some old Mission 700-2 speakers as surrounds.

That leaves me with the need for a pair of sides or surrounds. Your opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Since ideally all speakers should be the same for DD/DTS, build NorthCreekMusic Rhythms and either sell or relegate the ACI Saphire IIIs to another room.

GM

3. Jeffrey_S

Greg,

I had considered that. But intuitively, aren't the mains and center channel the most important in sound reproduction? Doesn't it follow that a lower quality speaker should suffice as sides and surrounds? Now, I'm not saying that sides and surrounds should be of low quality, but when using a speaker of the quality of the Northcreekmusic Rhythms as mains and center, wouldn't it be a waist of money to use some of these as sides and surrounds?

What do you think?

Jeff

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I've found it hard to build speakers using a variety of different driver sets/alignments and still be ~tonally the same, which isn't really that big a deal for a 'seamless' pan across several speakers on fast action sequences, but is paramount when a wide 'stereo' surround audio image is required.

GM

5. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I myself cannot live without similar speakers around me. When setup right, you will get lost into the movie/music all the time. I love it. I dont have very good speakers now but they are all the same and having them match is a very seamless experience.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Unless you have $$$ to burn, IMO it would be a waste of potential to use any of the mentioned speakers as surrounds. Sapphire III's as surrounds??? A true waste of pure High Quality speakers in my opinion. They should be main's in a system.

Unless of course you listen to a lot of DVD-A or SACD's.

But for HT only surrounds, not worth having $1200 surrounds to me...

7. Jeffrey_S

Jeff,

I tend to agree and have been happily using my Saphire's as mains till now. I'm probably going to eventually move them into my family room where I have a tube setup that I just use for two channel music.

Can you recommend some DIY sides or surrounds. I heard from George at NorthCreekMusic and he recommended some more Rhythms or Borealis speakers. I'm still thinking this is overkill for sides and surrounds.

Help!

Jeff

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeffrey,

Well, if you like the Sapphires you should try the Emeralds. They would make great surrounds. Also, the GR Research would probably be great surrounds as well if you don't mind the extra depth/width over the Emeralds.

If you did go with the Emeralds I'd suggest possibly building the enclosures sealed. I use my Emeralds mains with the ports plugged and actually prefer this since I'm using subs anyway.

Brian

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeffrey, I built these: http://www.speakercity.com/ht_rear.shtml
    I am very pleased with them. I actually bought the drivers and crossover components from them and they gave me the ouside dimension of the triangular cabinets and I built my own cabinets (those angle cuts were a challenge [​IMG] ). I believe they are a great combination dipole - a balance of ambience sound and when a sound is meant to be distinct in the channel, you hear it as distinct.