Which display technology for....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thierry Sainte-Catherine, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Thierry Sainte-Catherine

I'm looking for a new display device for :
    watching DVD ( 6 hours a week )
    watching TV ( TV on 4 hours a day )
    video gaming ( 5 hours a week )

I would like a big screen , as a RPTV, but they told me that i should'nt use a RPTV for video gaming.
    Is it really true ? Why can we see in any video game shop, RPTV with game demos ?
    Which kind of technology should fit my use ? CRT, RPTV, PLASMA, VP ? (with abstraction of money )

Thierry

2. KrisA

KrisA Auditioning

If you have a room that can be made quite dark while watching the TV, you should consider a DLP front projector. They are designed to handle computer images and would not have any burn in problems for video gaming. I think the DLPs start at under $2000 (panasonic AE 100).

If you have ambient light in the room, RPTv is your only choice (actually, if the light is bright, a 36" Normal CRT TV would be the better choice).

My personal preference would be a front projector. If there is light in the room, I personally do not even like rear projection TVs - a Tube TV of about 36" would be the better option.

It is debatable whether or not 5 hours a week would cause tube burn in for CRT based rear projectors. These days, most of the picture in video gaming does move/shift around. The problem would be if you had constantly the static picture/illumination on the screen for extended periods. Less than an hour a day for video games which actually move the picture around should not be a problem - but I am not an authority on this subject.

The new DLP or DILA based rear projection TVs are quite expense but also quite good.

3. Thierry Sainte-Catherine

Thanks for your explanation.
    I will consider so a DLP projector

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter