Which display modes for the black bars

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanielKellmii, Nov 27, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I have a Mitsu 55613 TV. I bought it just before a bunch of hurricanes and have been too busy to really figure it out. I have a bunch of viewing modes, Normal, Stretch, Stretch Plus, Standard, Expand, and Zoom. Maybe a few more. My confusion comes in when Broadcast TV has black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. They are not always the same size. Typically, I use stretch plus. That is the mode that fills the entire screen without making the middle look distorted. Sometimes, I use normal when I want to make sure that I looking at the correct picture. How do I know which mode to use with the different size black bars?

FYI, I don't mind the black bars, I would much rather have the correct picture.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Start by choosing what looks good.

I don't know what names go with what modes, but generally you want 4:3 broadcasts with bars on the sides only.

Some ordinary broadcasts are letterboxed. Use Zoom for those, except that for (1) aspect ratios greater than 1.33:1 (4:3) and less than 1.77:1 (16:9) or (2) picture not centered in the video frame for broadcast, there is no choice other than black on all four sides or some material cut off the top and bottom unless you have several zoom selections or variable zoom.

I never use modes with more stretching at the sides so I can't comment on how well they look.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I use normal for TV stuff. on my Mits 55413. I preferred it over the Stretch plus. It's all a matter of preference. I don't touch the other modes.