Which DirectTV/PVR/HDTV equipment should I consider?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Cler, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Anthony Cler

Anthony Cler Stunt Coordinator

Nov 9, 1998
    I'll be moving into my new home next month and need some direction on which DirectTV/PVR/HDTV equipment I should be looking at.
    What's the LNB limit of dishes nowadays? Dual? Quad?
    Is there an all-in-one solution?
    Is there a current FAQ for stuff like this?
    Any advice/info would be apprectiated.
    Anthony Cler
  2. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Auditioning

Jul 6, 2001
    No PVR does HDTV currently. Personally, I would go with a DirecTV/TiVo. If you also plan to get a HDTV DirecTV receiver, you'll need the DirecTV Plus dish.
    The Plus dish will drive four receivers without additional equipment. The DirecTV/TiVo counts as two of those receivers if you want to use the dual tuner features (record two or watch one/record another). A standard dish will drive only two receivers.
    To drive additional receivers in either case, you simply need the appropriate multi-switch. For example, I'm running two DirecTV/TiVos connected for dual tuners off a multi-switch that provides a total of eight outputs from a Plus or regular dish.
    For additional information on the DirecTV/TiVo see www.tivocommunity.com .
  3. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Jul 4, 2001
    I second the DirecTiVo combo endorsement that Jim put forth. I wish there was an HD solution in this genre but thus far there's not, so this is my favorite route at the moment.
    Also know that when you go with a DirecTiVo combo box, the first one will cost you the $200 lifetime subscription for the TiVo service, but subsequent combo boxes will only cost you the normal DirecTV $4.95/month mirroring charge, and not the $200 TiVo subscription.
    At present I'm running a standard dual-feed DirecTV dish feeding into a multi-switch that then distributes the signal to four receivers, one of which is a DirecTiVo combo box. I'm strongly considering getting a DirecTV HD receiver as well once the price drops a bit more.