Which dipole rear speakers to go with AV-1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ClarkZ, Apr 25, 2002.

1. ClarkZ

ClarkZ Agent

I am creating a 7:1 speaker setup for my HT. I am interested in building the AV-1 speakers for the front and center speakers and the AV for the 2 rears. I would like to make several dipole speakers for the sides. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to accomplish this. Thanks.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Clark,
    Danny is in the process of getting new GR130 drivers manufactured. They will have extended high frequency response (I believe out to 13KHz) and he feels that just dropping two of these drivers on the opposing sides of an enclosure would work great as dipoles with no tweeter. I know some people will say that 13KHz isn't enough extension for any speaker, including dipoles, but I'll leave that up to the real experts to decide! [​IMG]
    Brian

3. ClarkZ

ClarkZ Agent

This is great news! I really like the fact that the AV-1 can be front ported. My only hang up was how to get matching dipole speakers. I am using the speakers 100% for HT so I think that the 13KHz shouldn't be a problem. Does anybody want to weigh in on this?

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Clark,

What makes you think that the AV-1's can be front ported? There's no room on the front baffle for a port.

Brian

5. ClarkZ

ClarkZ Agent

Sorry, sometimes I type too quickly. I meant to say that I am going to build the AV-1Plus [​IMG]

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Oh, OK! You're going to use it as a center channel with the tweeter offset? Danny prefers them rear ported unless you need to place it inside a cabinet.

Brian

7. ClarkZ

ClarkZ Agent

Yep, I'm going to build them into the columns on either side of the stage. I was going to go with the Audax HT, but it was going to be a pain to get them to work properly since they are rear ported.

8. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Ok. Let me ask this silly question first.

Dipole = both sets fire out of phase - one pushes one pulls at the same time

Bipole = both sets fire in phase - both push or pull at the same time

So if I am right, and if by "several side" speakers you will have more than one on each side....

Won't the left driver of 1 cancel the right driver of the other if they are all on the side of the wall???

9. ClarkZ

ClarkZ Agent

I meant one per side. This leads me to another question. I was planning on making a 7:1 setup, but funds are drying up. If I went with a 6:1 setup with dipoles on the sides and rear would I reduce the risk of having the rear speaker sound as if it is projecting from the front (its something I read about somewhere)