Which digital camera should I get and why...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at the canon s45 and s230. I like the s230 cause of the size but am nervous about pic quality (red eyes) along with only 3 megapixels. What do you guys think? What else should I be looking at? I want to keep the budget under $550 and I want point and shoot (good for the wife). Thanks

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

I have been doing a lot of research on digital cameras and I have decided on the Canon S45. My wife and I have several SLRs and are considering buying a digital SLR in the near future. I want the S45 so that I can always have a camera on me. I will very rarely print the images I get from the S45...purely for web/e-mail, maybe some 4x6 or 5x7 prints. I have found the S45 online for ~ $450 - $499.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com for a ton of great information.

Good luck,
    Jeff

3. Ning Wong

Ning Wong Stunt Coordinator

i was gonnna get the s230, but i ordered the pentax optio S instead

4. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I just ordered the S45 from OneCall. It is $437.92 including free shipping if you go through "GotApex". This is the LINK

You have to love GotApex!

BTW, my father-in-law is a amateur photographer who chose the S40 as his first foray into the digital realm. Overall he has been very pleased with the photo quality of the S40 combined with the small size. The S45 is basically the S40 with some improvements.

5. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I've used the S45 while I had my G2 in for repairs, and it is a nice camera alot smaller than the G2. My 2 pet pieves with it are.
    1)The CF card goes in on the bottom a real pain if shooting from a tripod, have to pull the tripod mount of every time to change cards.
    2) This is more being spoiled but the swivel screen is the feature I like the most about the G2 over the S450.

If your wanting to do 4x6 prints check out the
    Canon CP-100 Sub-Dye printer it's pretty slick.

6. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

BTW, the deal on the S45 that I mentioned above expires today, just in case you are interested.

GotApex also is listing a deal today (OneCall) for the Canon G3. It is $612.33 and includes free shipping. Both the S45 and the G3 are "full retail boxed".

7. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

8. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

You may want to hold off. There's some mention of two new models in the Canon forum at http://www.dpreview.com: the A70 and the S50. Walmart even had the two cameras up on their web page for a short while before removing them.