What's new

Which determines sound type (warm/bright) more, pre-pro or amp? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Petrich

Agent
I'm currently using a Marantz SR-4200 and plan to add either a Crown 402 or a Carvin HD1800 to power my mains (custom 3-way speakers with horns). My question is, what determines the type of sound (ie. warm/bright) more, the receiver/pre-pro or the actual amps driving the speaker?

I'd like to maintain a somewhat warm sound coming from my receiver/amps to pair with the rather bright speakers I have now, and the Klipsch RB-75's I plan to upgrade to in the future.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Pre/pro will have more of an effect on sound than the amps as long as the amps have enough power to comfortably drive your speakers.

I would make the recommendation that you change your speakers if they're too bright or you're worried about a amp/prepro pushing them over the edge. IMO these should only slightly change the sound of your speakers and shouldn't make them noticeably brighter or warmer.

Room acoustics and setup will also make a more noticeable change in sound quality than a prepro or amp.

Ryan Petrich

Agent
Thanks for the reply. I'm somewhat happy with my speakers right now, but plans for new ones are in the works. I'd just personally rather pair bright speakers such as horns with a warm receiver such as Denon or Marantz and wanted to make my future purchases with that in mind.

If the pre-pro/receiver determines the sound then I don't have to worry about what the amps sound like as long as their powerful enough and have other features I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks