Which Denon?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by George Bir, Sep 3, 2004.

1. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Seeking opinions again.

We like the sound and features of the Denon. Thinking about the 1905. Since the dealer did not have one yet we listened to the 2105. Wasn't sure if it was enough sound for movies. Maybe it wasn't set up right but now we're thinking about the 2805.
    The 2105 would already cost us 150 more, if we went 2805 it would be another 150 more. Trying to watch our budget but want to get enough.
    Does anyone have similar? Is it enough?
    We like the sound loud enough to be intense.
    Speakers will be paradigm minis,370,atoms.
    Don't like the paradigm subs, would like svs but don't like buying unseen.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

George,

When out looking and listening to receivers, you have to consider the following:

1) Most stores have their gear hooked up through a control panel with miles of wiring. This can result in some loss of power.

2) Most listening areas in stores tend to be a bit larger than the areas where we set our gear up in our homes.

3) The speakers used for the demos might not be the most efficient speakers - or, might be of different efficiency than what you could be running.

With that being said, I have a 14 x 21 x 8 area where I watch my movies. A while back, I was using a Denon AVR-1804 for movies and music. It had enough power for me and my speakers were 90dB efficient.

3. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Thank you Wayne;

My speakers are also around the 89db efficiency range.
    Our room is also similar size 15x20x7, however it does L to the other side of the basement.
    Hoping to find a sub to suffice also.

When you say it was enough sound for you, do you like it at movie theater levels?

Sorry for not mention the demo room, but it was an enclosed room, actually smaller than ours. However it had terrable acoustics.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

George,

Yes, I like to push my system a bit with movies. Can't stand it when it isn't loud enough.

When you look at it, a large number of receivers are barely pushing 35 watts to all of the channels. However, it is still enough power to get the volume up there to fill the room with good sounds.

5. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Providing you throw a sub into the mix, the 2105 should be very adequate for your needs.