Which Denon fits the best?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary TP, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

I am pretty new to HT and I just picked up a pair
    of Paradigm Monitor 11's v3 to start a system. I will fill it in with a cc-370,adp surrounds, sub eventually.

What I haven't decided on yet it the receiver. I am pretty sure I am going Denon (unless someone can convince me otherwise)- but what I am really concerned with is what level of denon I should go to match these speakers the best- the 2802, 3802, 4802.

I was leaning towards the 3802 since it is the middle of the road, but am I jumping up unecessarily or not going with enough concerning that choice?
    Price difference plays a big factor since I am trying to save as much as possible for the rest of the system but don't want to short-change the importance of getting the best receiver for the monitor 11s.

Thanks,
    GTP

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Welcome [​IMG]
    Personally, if you have the cash, I'd go with the 4802. The 3802 is probably on the edge for power delivery for those speakers. I was not 100% impressed with the 3802 when I auditioned it. If you can spare a bit more cash, I've seen the 5803 going for very good prices already...
    You have floorstanders, so is it a reasonable guess that you listen to more music? If so, you might want to consider listening to similar offerings from Marantz and Harmon Kardon. When looking for a receiver for my Paradigms, I found I preferred the musical sound of Marantz and H/K. It doesn't hurt anything to audition before you buy.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

You may be able to find a 5800 left on clearance.

4. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

well I'm thinkin 3802 with an added amp for power in the future. I can add an LCD remote in the future and the thx certification isn't worth double the 700 bucks.

Wonder if its worth waiting for the 3803?

5. Bunkie_r

Bunkie_r Auditioning

any news when the 3803 is coming out? i just got myself B&W 602s for my front, 601s for my surround and an LCR60. wondering myself which would be best suited for me. i am also definitely getting a denon. just dont know what.

6. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

The 3802 alone should be fine if you don't play to loudly. You can add a decent 2 or 3 channel amp for the left, center and right speakers down the road and let the receiver power the surrounds. This is the route I took when I had a receiver. Not only did it improve the front soundstage but the surround channels came alive since receiver wasn't burdend by the front channels. I think this the best strategy if you are looking for the most bang for the buck.

7. Bunkie_r

Bunkie_r Auditioning

what amp (model and brand)would you suggest to go with the 3802? i am only using B&W 602s for my front, will i still need the extra amp?