What's new

Which Definitive CLR? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to decide between a powered on passive center channel from Defintive. My considerations are the: CLR2000, or CLR2300. The CLR2300 is $50 less and ahs an 8" powered woofer and two 4.5" midrange drivers. The CLR2000 has dual 6.5" drivers as its midrange/bass drivers, it is also bi-wireable. Which one is a better sounding center channel for vocals etc in HT? I am leaning to the CLR2000, but if the 2300 is better, I'd save $50.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
What main speakers will you be using? Will you have any chance to compare them side by side?

Alvin Lau

Agent
I have a CLR2000 for my center channel. I use the ProTower 400s for the front channels and BPXs for the rear channels. The CLR2000 sounds great in my setup, and matches my other DefTech speakers really well.

If you have a good powered sub, I'd go with the CLR2000 because of the larger drivers.

SteveLauterbach

Auditioning
I have the Definitive CLR 3000 and the powered sub make a world of difference. I had the 2000 and took them back and traded for the 3000's and haven't regretted it since.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I am using them with A/D/S tower speakers upfront, and a Velodyne CT-120 sub. I might go for the one with the powered woofer, save a few bucks, and pick up a little more full range sound, any other opinions?

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,
Thanks for proposing the questions. I am going through the exact same thing. I listened to the powered 2300 and it sounded great. But I have the 2000 towers and the 6 1/2inch mids will not match the smaller mids on the CLR. When you get the speaker please let me/us know what you think.
Mahalo,
Michael
[email protected]
P.S. many of my best friends went to Punaho High School:) :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I hate to throw in another variable, but the 2002 center speaker has been said to sound superior to the 2300. It was what convinced me to buy DefTech.
Go for an audition with a movie you are very familar with. Disable all but the center speaker and listen.
Try standing, sitting, sitting on the floor. Does the sound change? Move L/R - does it still sound good or does some sounds drop off?
When I used the Borg Battle chapter of Star Trek:First Contact, I had to run around the room twice to make sure other speakers were not active. I could litterally not tell where the sound was originating from. I could also hear subtile detail & effects with just the center that other speaker systems did not bring out (or hid).
I really wanted to find fault with the DefTech center as I had fallen in love with that Polk CS1000p (with the built in sub), but the 2002 center sounded better for less than half the price.
I walked out with that center and have rarely heard better.

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

Thanks for the great response. Can you answer us a few questions?

What mains do you run and how does the CLR sound with them?

What are you powering the CLR with?

"but the 2002 center speaker has been said to sound superior to the 2300".

Is there a review that you read that talks about the CLR 2002 and if so where can we find it?

I too love the way my Def Techs sound.

-Michael

Phil Wyeth

Grip
I'll cast a vote for the 2300 over the 2002.:emoji_thumbsup:
I have the 2300 and am very pleased. Keep in mind that I have never heard the 2002. I'm guessing with the bi-wiring and larger mids you will get a more pure and accurate sound. But I still think you will lose low frequency that you would get with the built in sub of the 2300. When I hooked up my 2300 I was immediately shocked at the amount of low frequency I was missing out on (my old center was a Paradigm.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if this will help, but I will be using it in a very large room. I'm not sure if the bass from the powered sub in the CLR2300 would just get lost. I may either go with a CLR2002 or CLR2000, but the CLR200o is a little expensive for me. How does the CLR2002 compare?

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,

I have a pair of 2000 and 2002 towers. I love them both. There is NOT a huge difference between the two (other than some bass response that a good sub will fill). IMHO I would buy the 2002 towers again over the 2000 and save the money. (The 2000 I did not buy they are on loan to me)

So if you went with the 2002 CLR versus the 2000 CLR you can make the same comparison. I would say, sve the money and get the 2002CLR. This is exactly what I intend to do in the next few weeks.

Tell me what happens,

Michael

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The comparison of the 2002 vs the 2300 was by another fourm member when he was auditioning def techs.
The only review I have seen with the 2300 was a Sound & Vision article that reviewed the new models as a set.
I have 2000tl mains. I drove them with a Yamaha 793 receiver for a year or so, now I have a Yamaha DSP-A1.
While Yamaha works well with the Def Techs, I have never heard of problems using a Dennon/Onkyo/Sony receiver with them. So dont worry about matching the DefTechs with a receiver - they dont seem that picky.
One issue against the 2300 powered center is the recent threads on powered towers vs external sub. There IS a legitimate point that multiple subs are hard to blend unless they are physically close together. Having a powered sub in the center might create an adjustment/blending issue.
But both speakers are said to be quite good so we are really talking about nuace issues :)
Good Luck.

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
Another strike against powered subs in center channels is there is no way it can match a decent subwoofer. There is not enough volume or power in the speaker sub to compete with the dual Hsu Research TN1220ho I run in my system. Why have the added complexity and weight? Also there will be blending and cancellation effects that you have to weigh. IMHO go with a decent non powered and save the cash toward a good dedicated sub.

BTW. I am thinking of upgrading my CLR 1000 up to the CLR 2000. Any thoughts?

Frank

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Actually, I think the problem for most people in using a powered center channel is compromised speaker placement and/or comparatively weak bass performance with respect to the main speakers and/or external sub(s). Even so, there is a chance that you could enhance the movie experience and there is a chance that you could add to the spaciousness of the sound by using a powered center. Now, from what I heard from one of the guys at Audioreview, having near full range response from your mains and even your center can work to mimic a movie theater. And he said that cancellation would not be a problem if you set the mains and center to "large", rears to "small", and then used an external sub for LFE only. However, for such a setup, you would need very capable mains and center speakers.
I think the safer choice of clr2300 vs. clr2002 (or clr2000) would be the clr2002 (or clr2000). But if you were actually able to audition them, and you did not notice a big difference in clarity between them, then you should probably go with the clr2300. It's tough to say without actually trying out in your home...some people have preferred the powered models to the nonpowered models, and others have preferred the nonpowered models to the powered models.
clr1000 vs. clr2000? I have no idea how these would compare. Try shooting an email to DT: [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks