What's new

Which Dark Side? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Ab

Grip
When dark side had its anniversary about 3 years ago, Alan Parsons was on or hosted, I can't remember, a radio show about the making of it and all. This wasn't am "in the studio with Redbeard" ; it was a one-shot special. Anyway, seems like toward the end of the broadcast Parsons said he was working on a quote "surround sound mix" of the album. Whatever came of that, I don't know.

--Ryan

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
So, if I want to stop wearing out my original UK vinyl release, where should I go again? I was just going to buy a normal UK CD or record mine to CDR (or minidisc), but if there is something that is worth the extra hunting, well...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
the best pressing I have found is the UK released Harvest from EMI (catalog number CDP 7 46001 2).
how ironic. my copy of DSOTM, which I "casually" picked up whilst an impoverished student, is this very pressing. I say "casually" in that I just wanted a copy, wasn't too concerned about which one it was -- heck, I didn't realise there were various "editions", apart from the glaringly obviously different and more expensive gold disc.

nice to know I've got a good one, considering that there was no way I would've bought the much more expensive Ultradisc back then.

any views as to how the best "versions", whether this Harvest pressing or the Ultradisc, compare to DSOTM tracks that are on the new(er) "Echoes" best of?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have listen to all the above mixes countless times, but have only listened to the vinyl MFSL version 4 times before copyiing to a high end Denon cassette and encoding it dbx, so I could listen to it more w/o wearing the LP out.

Anyways, I felt that every CD version sounded good, but there was this annoying midrange which had all the presence of listenintg to it with a sheet of wood in front of your face (ie, limited depth in midrange) the highs and lows are excellent however. But on the MFSL vinyl, the midrange has depth, balanced as well as the highs and lows. You feel like your actually in a room and listening to all instruments at once (testament of a good stereo mix- kudos to Alan Parsons).

I'm sure most people in this forum would never say that version sounds good with the background his caused by the needle rubbing against the vinyl or the occasion al pop, but I this is one of the few cases where I actually prefer the sound on an LP over a CD. It's an LP where I think I understand what people say when they feel that an LP can sound "warmer".

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've had in my time: first generation (UK) vinyl release of DSOTM, a later generation vinyl release, the MOFI vinyl, the original UK CD release, the MOFI CD release and the latest UK remastered CD. By far the best has been the latest UK remastered CD (which came out about 3-4 years ago), and ironically in real terms, it was the cheapest version. Much more open soundstage, more detail, bigger dynamic range, and superb bass.

cwhite

Second Unit
I had always heard there was a quad version of "Dark Side" but I have never seen in any format. I don't see why it come out both versions on SACD or DVD-A, whomever own the rights to the album now. When I saw Pink Floyd in concert on the "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" tour, they played the "Dark Side" cuts in quad (Time, Us and Them, Money). So it would stand to reason that there was a 4 channel version of "Dark Side" at some point. But why didn't Sony do a 5.1 mix of "Wish You Were Here" on SACD?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Charles, Floyd played almost all their concerts at least from Meddle=period onwards in quad/surround sound. I don't think this means that their studio albums 'ought' to be in quad/surround sound.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the Pink Floyd albums "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" shouldn't be quad, then I don't know whose albums should.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hey I have the very rare black label original Japanese pressing. First $100 can have it. :) Don't have the long box any more. :)

GregK

Screenwriter
The original quad mixes of DSOTM, WYWH, and AHM all rock! :emoji_thumbsup:
For those new or foggy to 4-channel quadraphonic sound:
Remember this is not 'tampering' with the original mix,
..these ARE original mixes. But unlike the stereo mixes,
the quad mixes have not seen the (commercial) light of day
sense the mainstream quad era ended in the mid-1970's! :frowning:

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've got that pressing too, Philip. But I'm not going to part with it.

However, I'd probably pay $100 for a DTS CD of the quad mix of DSOTM or WYWH.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I have a copy of a DTS 5.1 mix of the CD but since I don't have a DTS capable receiver, I haven't listened to it. However, I loaned it to a friend and he said it's pretty cool.

That's all I'll say here -- you can mail me for futher details.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this will all be settled soon will the Hi-Rez disc's coming 'soon' [03-03-03, for the DVD-A], on DVD-A & SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks