Which Dark Side?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed St. Clair, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Which Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon is the best sounding CD release?

I've owned seven differant vinyl versions as well as the MFSL gold CD, Hear the 25th Anniversary bettered the gold. Anything else out there?

Dreaming of the day they release the Abbey Road four channel on SACD/DVD-A!

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Thank you Greg. Happy 2002!

6. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Hang on, I'm confused.
    I was referring specifically to Abbey Road. You're saying there was a Quad Stereo master done? Cause Michael seems to be talking about The Floyd...[​IMG]

8. Micahel C

Sorry Theo,

I was going by the thread and thought the Floyd mixes were what you were refering to in your post which was paraphrased further down the thread. Sorry for the confusion.:b

9. Micahel C

I went back and reread what you were referring to and I think I understand why you're confused. Ed mentioned the Abbey Road four channel mixes. I believe he was referring to Abbey Road studio's, not the lp.[​IMG] Correct me if I'm worng here.

10. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

So, EMI is hanging onto the quad mixes of Abbey Road too? And the stereo mixes of the first four Beatles albums (especially AHDN and BFS)? And the Anthology is still unreleased on DVD...

Wow, a lot to look forward to.

Wait, we are supposed to be discussing DSOTM versions, right? I love the "normal" release as it is. Am I missing something more?

-JNS

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

RIGHT! Now I remember they recorded it there. Cheers Michael, and sorry everyone for totally confusing people. Quad Stereo seemed a bit bizarre for the Beatles. [​IMG]
    My original post is meaningless but if I remove it this will all be v. confusing![​IMG] :b

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    As I posted on the other gold vs. silver CD post, the best pressing I have found is the UK released Harvest from EMI (catalog number CDP 7 46001 2). Again, my understanding is that the Capitol records release relied on a latter version analog copy of the master which was quite aweful from an audiophile standpoint. This information comes from a very reliable source in CD/LP engineering.

I am intrgiued by the Quad8 limited editions floating around, however. I have not heard these yet so I will stand pat until I figure out how to purchase them.

The MoFi discs, however, are not very transparent. I find the Harvest CD even better than the Japanese MoFi.

Would this be a great release for SACD or what?

Lee

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Actually I do have the Japanese MoFi pressing - I bought this a while ago I guess before UD2.
    I just A/B ed the tracks for Time (matching levels). The opening clock on the Harvest is definitely a wider soundstage and more open. The Japanese MoFi is more closed in sounding and the drums in the background are not as clearly defined on my system.
    On "Money", I also notice more open sound on the Harvest, however bass seems a bit better on the MoFi. Still, the vocals are closed in for my taste. Not as crisp sounding which stands out on my system.
    Don't get me wrong, I love MoFi on other discs and I look forward to the new MusicDirect MoFi Cds (SACD please!)...I just think in this case the UK pressing is better.
    By the way, their only SACD "Blues in Orbit" is outstanding...
    Perhaps the system makes a difference, although judging by the Audio Asylum listing of your system, Ric you are in fine shape.
    My equipment is: Maggie 1.6QRs driven by ARC VT-100 amp and LS3 preamp with Cardas Golden Reference throughout. Source is always the Sony SCD-777ES for both SuperAudio and Redbook. Sony powercord has been replaced by Cardas GR also and the whole system is fed through a Monster Cable (Richard Marsh Design) HTS-5000, which makes a big difference. I tend to like really pure, natural sounding midrange and I have worked on over 12 jazz and classical recordings as an assistant engineer. I religiously use Caig ProGold on all connections including tube pins and also use Kontakt from England from time to time. Tubes have just been replaced and settled in. For thsi exercise, I wish I had the Maggie 3.6s to judge the highs better, but that is only a matter of time.
    I guess we have an honest disagreement but both recordings are fairly strong. [​IMG]
    By the way what are your thoughts on the new Sony XA777? Did you ever have the SCD-777? Also, what is the Dan W. modification of the PT P-3A DAC?
    Best regards,
    Lee

14. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Lee, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree [​IMG] I'm thinking though that perhaps your Maggie's like the Harvest pressing better as I have almost a mirror image difference with my Paradigm Reference Studio 40's. [​IMG] I think we can agree that the Maggie sound is certainly a "different" one than direct radiators. I will admit to loving the sound on some music and not caring for it too much on other types, but they are World Class Speakers...that's for sure.

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Ric,

Thanks for the follow-up. It is great to find someone as passionate about certain albums as I am.

Many thanks also for the Dan Wright link. I may do this to boost me Redbook capability although I am fairly happy as is.

Happy New Year!

Lee

16. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Ho do the recent Japanese mini LP's figure into the mix here ?

17. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

18. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Thanks everyone!

Now the best place for a good old USA boy to get the UK version?

19. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

20. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The quad mix of DSOTM was supposed to have been the inaugural DTS music CD but it never came to be.

In 1973 when DSOTM was previewed for the press (at a planetarium, of course), the members of the band refused to attend because EMI planned to preview the stereo mix instead of the quad mix, which wasn't finished yet. But maybe that was just an excuse.