What's new

which dac to use? (1 Viewer)

Miles Abbey

Agent
I'm using a YAMAHA DVD-C920 with a Yamaha rxv-995. When I'm playing 2-channel music which component should be used to handle dac? Should I select external decoder and let the dvd player do it or should I use digital outs on the dvd player and let the receiver do it?

Thanks,

Miles

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Miles,

I have the Yamaha RX-V995 as well :). For redbook cd's I use a Denon DCD-1290 and a Sony DVP-9000ES. IMHO the Yamaha 995 is a nice reciever and the surround modes do a great job for the price range. I use the d/a in my Sony for audio and the same with the Denon. You can IMHO improve the sound with a outboard d/a. I really like the Theta d/a's are very nice and is something I was concidering. I may even go that route even after I upgrade the 995 to a Denon AVR-5803. Parrasound makes some d/a's that might be alittle more affordable. Built in d/a's usually in your average recievers are sub par with what is available in most upper line cd & dvd players.

Here is a link for a review on the Theta Chroma

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/index.html

You might also want to look into getting a SACD player that has a really good cd section in it? Or a really good multi platform (CD/SACD/SACD-multi channel/DVD-A) player. Then you can use the 5.1 input on your RX-V995 to do multi channel as well. Depends on what sounds good to you and if you would like to improve on what you have. Adding a good external d/a may be just what your looking for?

Miles Abbey

Agent
My only complaint listening thru the dvd's decoder is I can't get the sub balanced without turning the gain way up. One of these days I will upgrade to a better pre pro

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks