which dac to use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Abbey, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

I'm using a YAMAHA DVD-C920 with a Yamaha rxv-995. When I'm playing 2-channel music which component should be used to handle dac? Should I select external decoder and let the dvd player do it or should I use digital outs on the dvd player and let the receiver do it?

Thanks,

Miles

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Miles,

I have the Yamaha RX-V995 as well [​IMG]. For redbook cd's I use a Denon DCD-1290 and a Sony DVP-9000ES. IMHO the Yamaha 995 is a nice reciever and the surround modes do a great job for the price range. I use the d/a in my Sony for audio and the same with the Denon. You can IMHO improve the sound with a outboard d/a. I really like the Theta d/a's are very nice and is something I was concidering. I may even go that route even after I upgrade the 995 to a Denon AVR-5803. Parrasound makes some d/a's that might be alittle more affordable. Built in d/a's usually in your average recievers are sub par with what is available in most upper line cd & dvd players.

Here is a link for a review on the Theta Chroma

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/index.html

You might also want to look into getting a SACD player that has a really good cd section in it? Or a really good multi platform (CD/SACD/SACD-multi channel/DVD-A) player. Then you can use the 5.1 input on your RX-V995 to do multi channel as well. Depends on what sounds good to you and if you would like to improve on what you have. Adding a good external d/a may be just what your looking for?

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Do some listening and tell us!

[​IMG]

good luck

-rob

4. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

I believe it is less harsh listening thru the dvd's dac. The sound is more discrete.

5. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

My only complaint listening thru the dvd's decoder is I can't get the sub balanced without turning the gain way up. One of these days I will upgrade to a better pre pro