Which D-Day movie will you be watching today, the 60th anniversary.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Whitford, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I think we will be watching Saving Private Ryan as I believe it is time for my 16 year old daughter to see and hear what those guys went through and for her to gain the respect that is due to them. What will you be watching?

2. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Stunt Coordinator

The Longest Day

3. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

I just received a copy of Saving Private Ryan DTS that I purchased off ebay. The 60th anniversary of D-Day wasn't even on my mind when I bought SPR. This is what I'll be watching.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

Warched S.P.R. earlier today. I'm surprised no one is bothering to televise it tonight.

5. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    I'm waiting for a copy of the 2 disc anamorphic LONGEST DAY that I ordered from HMV.uk. (It had a price drop on May 31). My celbration will be psotponed, but it will be worth it. (I did catch the excellent A&E movie IKE: COUNTDOWN TO D-DAY with Tom Selleck, who I thought was surprisingly good in the role.)

6. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Wife and I decided to go with SPR.

Can't go wrong with that choice!

7. Jacob_isham

Jacob_isham Stunt Coordinator

SPR is a great movie, but my mind has trouble with the fact they risked the lives of many men to save just one soldier, who just wanted to do his duty like everyone else, it doesn't make any sence to me. I think it is worse for many men to die to save one man, than it is for a mother to lose the last of her 4 sons in a war. But that's just me, i guess. The whole thing stunk of a publicity stunt by politicians that cost unnecessary human life. But i have total respect for the men that carried out this rescue mission and there "mine is not to question why, mine is to do or die" attitude. Wars are not won by soldiers who question there orders.

8. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    But those soldiers who may question their orders die all the same. How many in Vietnam were there but didn't want to be? I don't want to turn this into a war/politcal debate, but soldiers sign up to fight and die and should to be able to ask questions about who is sending them to there possible death and why.

9. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I would have watched SPR today but between taking my friend to work, watching the Simpsons, Pistons, and Sopranos, I didn't really have any time.

10. Jacob_isham

Jacob_isham Stunt Coordinator

JoshB,
    If you sign up to the army, you aggree to follow orders given out wether you aggree with them or not. For people who don't like this, the answer is simple, don't join the army. If soldiers are gonna question every order, then nothing will get done. The soldiers in the SPR story didn't all aggree with there mission objectives, but they carried them out all the same. I know men get drafted into the army in wars and don't really have much of a choice, I can understand it more, if they object to somthing they've been asked to do, that they dont aggree with. In a society, where we all believe we have the right to freedom of choice, the fact is in the army you don't, how could the army possibly function if every soldier's opinions have to be taken into consideration before any action is taken?

11. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I personally would have gone for "A Bridge Too Far," to introduce some levity into an otherwise somber occasion and followed it up with the "D-Day" episode of "Band of Brothers." Besides, I just watched SPR last week.

Jacob: If soldiers had done nothing but follow orders, we wouldn't have heard about My Lai, Abu Ghraib, Iran-Contra, and a variety of other things done by those soldiers supposedly "just following orders." You have freedom of choice in the armed forces, just like in the rest of society. It's just questioned a lot less.

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I was hoping to be watching a newly minted Special Edition of "The Longest Day" from Fox. I've been asking for it for 2 years to no avail. I'm disappointed to see them drop the ball on this opportunity. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C Stunt Coordinator

I would have watched "The Longest Day", but A) I watched it a couple of months back, and B) my piece of crap Apex DVD player dies at the layer switch.

I started out putting my videotape of Saving Private Ryan on (I've never actually seen the movie believe it or not) but changed my mind at the last minute and watched the opening two episodes of Band of Brothers instead.

14. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

I watched "Enemy Below" with Robert Mitchum. I had never seen this one before, and enjoyed it.