Which Component should I get first?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_Lunar, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

Jul 11, 2002
    Ok, I've decided what upgrade I want to get for my new home Theater sound system. But After taking it in front of the budget advidor(the wife of course!) I will have to get to them one piece at time over the next year.

great I said! but now I wonder.... What should I get first?

ok, here is what I curently have as a Home theater for sound

receiver : Kenwood VR-410 100W X 5ch DTS + DD
    KS-201 HT 5 suround speakers kit 100W each(the rear are smaller and the center is horizontal so it is not 5 identical speakers)
    Sub : it is also a KS-201 HT kit sub 100W passive sub but I am using my old 100WX2 SX303R pionner as an amp for the sub so I got a pretty good sub performance from this 8' poor passive sub.

And Here is what I want(thanks to you guys for helping me made those choice!)

receiver : Denon AVR-3802
    Front : Paradigm monitor 5
    center : Paradigm CC370
    surround : Paradigm mini monitor
    back surround : ADP 370(might swith the surround and back surr. once I get them to test)
    SUB : Paradigm PW-2200

Now... What should I get first, because I heard here that a low end receiver can damage good speakers so I am worried if my old receiver will be too week for the new paradigm and might damage them? Wat spec should I check on my receiver and new speakers to see if it's ok?

Here is my idea :

1) get a pair of mini monitor(not to big compare to what I have like the monitor 5 so I should fit with the Kenwword receiver) replace my front with them so I have enough speaker for 7.1
    2) get the Denon 3802
    3) get the center CC370
    4)get the front monitor 5
    5)get the ADP
    6)get the Sub

what do you think?

2. TerryHenson

TerryHenson Agent

Jul 10, 2002
    While buying speakers first would show the most immediate improvement, I would buy the receiver first. Like you mentioned, more damage can be done by an underpowered receiver than underpowered speakers. In this case, I'm sure if the Kenwood is necessarily underpowered. If you're not running near reference levels, it's probably a moot point.

Second step, I buy the three fronts.. L/C/R

Whether the sub and surrounds come next, up to you.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Feb 1, 2002
    I believe the Kenwood 100wpc will be more than adequate to power the Paradigm mini monitors. There should be little to no risk in blowing one.

I suggest upgrading the L/R then center first
    Then sub and then surrounds

(You could easily use your current speakers as surrounds until you upgrade them.)

Lastly Receiver. That way if you don't notice a considerable amount of improvement when upgrading the receiver you could always return it depending where you bought it from.

The speakers make a big difference compared to receivers IMO. The Denon is pretty big investment that might not be worth it in the end.
  4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

May 27, 2001
    I second Chris' opinion. Upgrading the front three speakers first will make a drastic improvement in soundtrack reproduction. Since the surrounds do not reproduce a majority of most soundtracks, then I would also upgrade the sub after the mains. The Kenwood is a decent receiver and will not damage the Paradigms.
  5. BrianDD

BrianDD Agent

Jun 13, 2002
    I would probably get the reciever last. In a year's time the 3804 will probably be out. I always prefer to have the latest as far as the electronics go. Good speakers will make the biggest over all improvement.
  6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Oct 27, 1999
    As Brian said the new line of Denon receivers should be out in a years time, at which point you could either get it or pickup a used/discontinued 3802/3. Personally I would get the speakers first. They will offer the greatest improvement in sound. What you should also do is price these at different stores to see who offers you the best price. You may also want to get a package price and a buying one piece at a time price and take this to the wife and show her. In the long haul you'll save more if you buy as a package than one piece at a time. One other option is if you live near(within 5-7hrs) the Canada/US border. You may want to make the trip to pickup your speakers as the Paradigms would be duty free and can be had for the same price as in the US but in Canadian currency. With the exchange rate and the refund of sales taxes paid on them you'll save a bundle.