What's new

Which Component Cable: Best Buy or Radio Shack? (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Today I'm going to buy an in-store component cable. I don't want to wait for something to come in the mail, so it's pretty much Best Buy or Radio Shack. Best Buy had a 12 ft for around $35 and I haven't checked Radio Shack yet (although I read a lot here that their salesmen are somewhat clueless on the component cable issue. Can I do better than Best Buy's?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Rob
------------------
Receiver: Onkyo 595
Speakers: Energy Encores
TV: Sony 43T75 rptv
DVD/CD: Panasonic RV-31

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I've read uncomplimentary things about Radio Shack's video cables, though I use many of their audio cables myself. I'd go with Best Buy if given those choices.
------------------
-JQJ

I have the Radio Shack cables for both my HDTV STB and Progressive scan DVD player. I think they are great and have nothing bad to say about the quality.
However, what I have is the Gold AV cables instead of the Component Video Cables. These are the same cables as the component cables except they have Red, White & Yellow rings on them isstead of Red, Green & Blue. They are also about $20 cheaper.
Don't spend extra money on the Component version, just buy the Gold AV cables and make sure that you stay consistent with which jack you plug the cables into.
------------------

Anthony S

Agent
In a town the size of Richmond there must be other A/V shops or appliance stores that you could check out. They would most likely have a couple of brands at different price points or at least one brand with two or three different levels of quality. I bought some Tributaries here in Ann Arbor from a local home appliance shop and have been very happy with them.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I haven't had good luck with Radio Shack cables in the far distant past, but others have so, YMMV.
I would make sure they are all video cables though if you don't go with a specially labeled component set. I wouldn't recommend using an AV cable that has one video and two audio cables.
DJ

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I thought someone a few months back determined that the MegaCable sets of L/R/Video from Radio Shack were all made with identical 75 ohm coax and connectors.
This makes sense from a manufacturing point of view. Just slap different color bands on the RCA plugs and you have component video and L/R/Video bundles coming from the same line.
And as far as I know, 75 ohm coax works fine for audio unless you have a more exotic system that wants the 50/110/300 ohm coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks