Which Component Cable: Best Buy or Radio Shack?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob White, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

Today I'm going to buy an in-store component cable. I don't want to wait for something to come in the mail, so it's pretty much Best Buy or Radio Shack. Best Buy had a 12 ft for around $35 and I haven't checked Radio Shack yet (although I read a lot here that their salesmen are somewhat clueless on the component cable issue. Can I do better than Best Buy's?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Rob
    ------------------
    Receiver: Onkyo 595
    Speakers: Energy Encores
    TV: Sony 43T75 rptv
    DVD/CD: Panasonic RV-31

2. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I've read uncomplimentary things about Radio Shack's video cables, though I use many of their audio cables myself. I'd go with Best Buy if given those choices.
    ------------------
    -JQJ

3. Bill Broderick

I have the Radio Shack cables for both my HDTV STB and Progressive scan DVD player. I think they are great and have nothing bad to say about the quality.
    However, what I have is the Gold AV cables instead of the Component Video Cables. These are the same cables as the component cables except they have Red, White & Yellow rings on them isstead of Red, Green & Blue. They are also about $20 cheaper.
    Don't spend extra money on the Component version, just buy the Gold AV cables and make sure that you stay consistent with which jack you plug the cables into.
    ------------------

4. Anthony S

Anthony S Agent

In a town the size of Richmond there must be other A/V shops or appliance stores that you could check out. They would most likely have a couple of brands at different price points or at least one brand with two or three different levels of quality. I bought some Tributaries here in Ann Arbor from a local home appliance shop and have been very happy with them.

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I haven't had good luck with Radio Shack cables in the far distant past, but others have so, YMMV.
    I would make sure they are all video cables though if you don't go with a specially labeled component set. I wouldn't recommend using an AV cable that has one video and two audio cables.
    DJ

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I thought someone a few months back determined that the MegaCable sets of L/R/Video from Radio Shack were all made with identical 75 ohm coax and connectors.
    This makes sense from a manufacturing point of view. Just slap different color bands on the RCA plugs and you have component video and L/R/Video bundles coming from the same line.
    And as far as I know, 75 ohm coax works fine for audio unless you have a more exotic system that wants the 50/110/300 ohm coax.