Which Comes First?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Czyz, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Being a newbie in the "building a dedicated HT arena", I'm curious what comes first.

I have am unfinished third floor that I want to convert to a dedicate theater. Only minor framing is completed and all of that can be moved. No wiring or anything else has been done. I do not currently have the equiment that I will be using, but plan on a Front Projection setup.

So, which comes first? Building & wiring the HT and then buying the equipment, or buying the equipment and then building to suit it?

I ask for this reason. If I get a front projection system and plan on making the projector drop down from the ceiling, wouldn't I need to know the correct distance to put the projector from the screen, position for the screen etc?

I'm working on a slow budget, so I'm sure the project will take a while(I'm think a year) so I would hate to sink money into equipment that 1) I wouldn't be using until the theater is finished and 2) Sink money into equipment that might be considered old before I actually use it.

Any pointers from all of you that have delath with this?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

IMO - you should plan out your home theater to scale on graph paper - make cut outs of the furniture, equipment stand or room, furniture you plan to use - make several rooms with different dimensions and walls. This would give you some idea of the room will feel like. You should also think about the equipment you plan to use - rcvr or separates. 5.1/6.1/7.1 speaker set up. Lots of questions you must answer before you build. What type of equipment you are using? How many seats? What type of seats? Speaker size. How many subwoofers...you must do some research.

Have fun and you will learn along the way. But initial planning is the key.

3. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Tom is right, the more research you do before you start building, the easyer it will be.

Read magazines such as Audio Video Interiors, and surf the net for inspiration.

And then offcourse, there is this forum that will help you when you get stuck!

I got a lot of help from my "friend´s" here while i was building my HT!

Good Luck, and keep us updated!

4. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Thanks for all the info. I planned on working on the layout and doing some drawings etc to get an idea of what I want.

But, when it comes to building, after everything is planned, do I need my equipment first? The reason I ask is that it is my intention to have a Front projection system. I don't know the equipment or screen yet, and probably wont for a while, but I would like to get the process started.

Do I have to have the equipment to know what wires to run, placement for the projector, screen etc? I can easily figure out the speaker setup and run the wires for that. I also know where the equipment cabinet is going as well as what types of equipment. The big question is just the PJ and Screen.

Thanks,