What's new

Which Coffee Maker Is Better? (1 Viewer)

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Can ground unroasted (green) coffee beans be brewed and drunk straight? I heard they can be. Or must beans be roasted first?

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
MichaelBA,

Look up this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee

And look up the section on brewing coffee. One of the things it discusses is a vacuum pot and how it works.

By the way, here's one of the most popular vacuum pot coffee makers available today:

The Bodum Mini-Santos shown above is probably the best known of the modern vacuum pot coffeemakers.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Ray said:
I agree; but I would add a third, a manual drip filter system such as the Melitta I mentioned and linked to in my original post.

A manual drip filter system allows you to control the critical elements of the brewing process:

1. The temperature of the brewing water. Most automatic drip coffee makers don't get the water nearly hot enough.

2. The speed that the water is introduced to the grounds. Instead of introducing a little of the brew-water at a time, you can add all of it at once. This allows the grounds to give up essential coffee oils and other complex "bits" that add to the "fullness and richness" of a good cup of coffee. (the same benefit of a press pot but without the mess)

3. The length of the brew time. You can control this by the type of filter used, the size of the grind, and how you stir the grounds and water as they brew.

All in all, a manual drip system is simple to use, very inexpensive, very quick, (especially if you use an English or Europeon style electric water kettle), and can produce a gourmet cup of coffee if done properly and with good beans. Here's a link at coffeegeek.com that explains it better than I ever could: http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtouseapourover

I just realized that the link I provided for America's Test Kitchen requires membership. Membership is free and worthwhile if you cook at all. Anyway, they compared two vacuum brewers, the Bodum and the Black & Decker. Both are electric, (as opposed to stove-top) and both brewed excellent coffee. ATK preferred the Black & Decker because it brewed hotter coffee and was easier to clean then the Bodum, which had a narrow neck. It should be mentioned though, the Bodum took about 8 mins. to brew a pot of coffee while the Black & Decker took a little over 13 mins. I think both can be found at several places on-line. I know I've seen the Bodum at my local resturant supply store.

MichaelBA,

I don't think you would want to drink anything made from green coffee beans. They are raw and need to be roasted to produce the "coffee flavor" we all know. I've found two compelling reasons to persue roasting my own coffee; one, it will taste far better than anything I can buy in the supermarket and two, green coffee beans cost less than half per pound than what I pay for "gourmet coffee beans" at either my suppermarket or local coffeehouse/coffeeroaster.

Why go through all this trouble for a cup of coffee? Back in the day, I drank up to two pots of coffee every day, weekends included. It's no longer healthy for me to do so, as well, I can't tolerate caffeine like I used too. So, my one cup of coffee in the morning must make up in quality what I'm now missing in quantity.

A really good cup of coffee is truely one of life's simple pleasures.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
So. Are you guys saying that my $12 coffee maker & Folgers coffee is not the way to go?
I dump so much freakin' french vanilla creamer in mine I couldn't tell the difference between a $10 /cup & a $.20 /cup.

Two words. De Caf :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't drink coffee so keep that in consideration, but I bought the Cuisinart Grind and Brew stainless steel version for my wife (model DGB-600BC) and she loves it.

We're going to buy one for my parents for xmas since they said they wanted one and I'm quite suprised about all the negative reviews I've seen. The ginder is loud but we kind of expected that. The coffee stays hot for HOURS, literally. And I don't mean two or three hours either. Even tho it's not necessary we started to use a paper filter when we read how often it must be cleaned in the manual and never found a reason to stop using one so, cleanup is a breeze.

The only problem we have is that, now, when you pour you often get coffee running down the side of the pot. We have no idea why this started happening. I think we can prevent it by removing the cover from the pot when pouring so it's not THAT big a deal. We're thinking of ordering a replacement cover but it's a little overpriced.

-paul

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

I've noticed that this is something a lot of people who "like coffee" do. They do this in restaurants and coffee bars and stuff. I see them. They basically have a little bit of coffee in the cup, and then they fill the cup with liquid- or powdered-cancer "creamer" or milk so that the coffee is more coffee-flavored creamer or milk.

I find this strange. Does anyone else find this strange? Do these people really "like coffee," or do they actually like coffee-flavored milk or coffee-flavored "creamer"?

I use about a mini-jot of liquid-cancer "creamer" in my own cup of coffee. It retains its dark brown coffee look. (Of course, I use two+ tea spoons of sugar...)

Sweet tooth!

MC

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

I think they undoubtedly prefer the creamer over the coffee. I used to drink black coffee only, but as the hairs have left my head and unexpectedly popped up tufted in countless dark crevices that should NOT have hair, I found my gut couldn't take it anymore.

So, now I put in some sugar (REAL sugar, dammit!) and milk. I used a creamer for a while, but then I tried this double-pasteurized organic SUPER milk from Stonyfield Farm that is SO darn good and pure and naturally flavorful I just use that alone as my "creamer" -- but only a BIT, you know, like a tablespoon.

I need the coffee to BE coffee!

[This Stonyfield Farm milk lasts three or four times as long in the fridge, by the way, because of their pasteurizing process.]

I think I want to try roastin' me own beans!

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I'm telling you, we should start a business. Or rather, this is yet another business we should but won't start. Then again, freaking everyone is marketing their own coffee these days, for cry eye.

Anyway, I'll buy some off you when you roast your beans!

MC

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Today I'm ASTOUNDINGLY pleased with my Cuisinart Grind & Brew.

Two simply MAGNIFICENT cups of coffee!

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
To follow up on Dave's comments, while I own the Cuisinart, I definitely appreciate the Melita. Use one on the boat for single-servings and it does make an EXCELLENT cup. I just don't find it convenient for multiple pots...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks