What's new

Which Classic Westerns would you like to see Remastered to Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I've seen "Paint Your Wagon" on stage, and its a bit clunky, but I still like it. The plot is much more interesting and apropos today than what they devised for the movie. The Original Broadway Cast album is excellent as is the new cast album with Keith Carradine.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Three Godfathers
Bandido
The Tin Star
Tall In The Saddle
Seven Men From Now
Three Violent People

plus innumerable Westerns starring Randolph Scott or Joel McCrea.
I now have Three Violent People on a Blu-ray disc. It's part of a German Western box-set. The picture quality is acceptable but less than I expected and probably comes from an old master.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was going through my westrns the other day, and looked at what was given the upgrades and which titles are only on DVD. Over time I have replaced the DVD versions for the upgraded BR discs. With major titles like High Noon, Once Upon a time in the West and others, there are some westerns that just haven't gotten the love yet. I was just wondering if there are others out there that are asking the same questions that I am?
3 titles in my collection that I'd love to see given some love are:
The Iron Mistress (1952) Allen Ladd, Virginia Mayo - suedo-history adaption of the Jim Bowie adventures. (Warner Bros)

The Mississippi Gambler (1953) Tyrone Power - A fun movie, Power a bit past his Zorro prime, but still has enough "power" to pull it off. Nice inner action and storyline. (Universal)

McKenna's Gold (1968) Gregory Peck and an allstar cast in this almost John Ford-esque epic western. It was truly made for the wide screen, with several "3D effect" scenes.
There is a French BR release and it not bad, but you'd think that Sony would step up and do a better job with their own property?

Anyway, what titles are on your wishlist in the Westerns catagoy?

I have to disagree with you about the Blu-ray that Paramount issued a while ago of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Just like the prior double-disc DVD, I think it looks wonderful (although a 4K would be welcome, too). I think they really did give it "the love."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That's with Warner Brothers and they haven't released a 1950's 3-D title in five years.

The 3D Film Archive future announced releases are below. Maybe after they are released we will hear of new titles.

Flesh For Frankenstein
Revenge of the Shogun Women
Robot Monster
Jack and the Beanstalk.
The Abbott and Costello
Treasure of The Four Crowns
The Diamond Wizard
The Bubble Road Show

Seems to me that Bob F . said THE BUBBLE redux was being put on the way-y back burner, due to the number of other projects needing his attention.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Seems to me that Bob F . said THE BUBBLE redux was being put on the way-y back burner, due to the number of other projects needing his attention.
Westerns in 3D - interesting, there was a time when studios were in a panic to get butts back into the seats of the theaters!! LOL!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It's a real slog, with a cast that mostly can't sing. Mr. Eastwood does not acquit himself well. I do enjoy watching an entire town sink into the mine shafts toward the end...that must have been expensive as hell.
Yeah it’s it’s difficult to try and listen to Leigh Marvin trying to sing, at least with Clint Eastwood he’s he has a musical ear, LOL but I’d still love to see a decent copy of the surface somewhere.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well as I've posted (I think I have, I can't be bothered to check) Paint Your Wagon would be absolutely nothing without Lee Marvin, he's brilliant, I even like his singing. Clint Eastwood makes no impression at all, & Jean Seberg seems somehow miscast (but I think that Diana Rigg who was going to play the part would also have been miscast), & director Joshua Logan should have quit directing after Camelot (some would say before). Ha, with all that, I still really like it & hope we get a great looking Blu-ray before too long.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well as I've posted (I think I have, I can't be bothered to check) Paint Your Wagon would be absolutely nothing without Lee Marvin, he's brilliant, I even like his singing. Clint Eastwood makes no impression at all, & Jean Seberg seems somehow miscast (but I think that Diana Rigg who was going to play the part would also have been miscast), & director Joshua Logan should have quit directing after Camelot (some would say before). Ha, with all that, I still really like it & hope we get a great looking Blu-ray before too long.
Lee Marvin is similar to Rex Harrison, that don't really sing per say, but interpit the canence and do thier version!! You either like them or...

Jtchance1

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I was going through my westrns the other day, and looked at what was given the upgrades and which titles are only on DVD. Over time I have replaced the DVD versions for the upgraded BR discs. With major titles like High Noon, Once Upon a time in the West and others, there are some westerns that just haven't gotten the love yet. I was just wondering if there are others out there that are asking the same questions that I am?
3 titles in my collection that I'd love to see given some love are:
The Iron Mistress (1952) Allen Ladd, Virginia Mayo - suedo-history adaption of the Jim Bowie adventures. (Warner Bros)

The Mississippi Gambler (1953) Tyrone Power - A fun movie, Power a bit past his Zorro prime, but still has enough "power" to pull it off. Nice inner action and storyline. (Universal)

McKenna's Gold (1968) Gregory Peck and an allstar cast in this almost John Ford-esque epic western. It was truly made for the wide screen, with several "3D effect" scenes.
There is a French BR release and it not bad, but you'd think that Sony would step up and do a better job with their own property?

Anyway, what titles are on your wishlist in the Westerns catagoy?
THE BIG SKY
SEVEN MEN FROM NOW
THE LAST WAGON

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Koch released The Last Wagon in Germany (I don't know what it was like, I never bought it), but it's deleted & going for a few bob from 3rd party sellers now (& being a Fox film, it's now safely locked in Disney's vault). I'd just love a good looking Blu-ray of The Big Sky, but I suppose that depends on Warner finding good enough film elements. It could happen, it might have even happened already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks