What's new

Which Cheap Surround in a box would you get? (1 Viewer)

AllenLC

Agent
A friend who knows I get into my system asks, " I only have 500.00 to spend. I just want surround and to be better than my TV sound. What ould you get?"
Anyone have an idea?

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Does he already have a DVD player? If so then I could recommend my system - the Sony HT-DDW840 ($350 when on sale at best buy). If he doesn't have a DVD player than there is an Onkyo system many people like but I think it may run a little over $500.

Mark

ChangJason

Auditioning
i just bought the YAMAHA DVX-S60. it's a dvd + speakers set. i've read pretty good reviews on it. i got them for $427 at BestBuy. it leaves your friend some money for cables.

its max output is about 185. it only good for smaller rooms.

ChrisSny

Auditioning
James that basically means that it's kinda weak. For example one of the systems I have is the Onkyo HTS650 which puts out 650W.

To answer the original question if you already have a DVD player then I agree with Mark and would go with the Sony HTDDW840. If he doesn't already have the DVD then still go with the Sony and also get the Sony DVPNS715P pregressive scan DVD player

Wayne_ML

Auditioning
The Onkyo refurbed hts-650 system is $330 now if you register (free) - I bought this a few months ago for this price and no complaints (and yes, mine plays the LFE channel just fine)...shoponkyo.com

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to recommend the Kenwood HTB-505 (Similar to my own but newer) reciever & speaker package. MSRP $499 I just checked Sears where its $349 :) (use the money you save to buy a better subwoofer, like a sony sw-ma40).

Ray Dockrey

Auditioning
I just bought the Kenwood HTB-505 and I absolutely love it. I found the sub to be plenty strong, but my setup is in a smaller room. Even my wife, who was against it from the start, loves it and tells me all the time that she is glad that I talked her into it.

Shahid

Grip
I would highly recommend the Onkyo HTS-650, but as others have mentioned, it does not include a DVD player. But the sound is outstanding, and I got mine recently and it does not have the LFE problem (reported elsewhere in this forum - Onkyo is fixing the problem in those rec. that have it).

Circuit City and Fry both carry the system but you will probably get a better price via an online store like SoundCity.com or BestPriceAudioVideo. Be careful though that you buy through an authorized dealer (which you can verify through Onkyo's web site). Both the ones I listed are, to the best of my knowledge, authorized dealers.

This is an outstanding system for the price.

David Dhaus

Agent
I have to agree with the HT-S650. I had it for 4 months and my neighbors and I thought it was amazing for the price. I never realized I had an LFE problem, it sounded that good. Once I learned of the problem, I tested it, found I had the problem, took it to a service center and 24 hours later had it back. Sounded even better, which I thought was not possible at this price level. You really need to audition these systems for yourself. I listened to most of the HTIBs out there, including Kenwood and Sony and almost gave up on the notion of a decent sounding HTIB - they were all weak in the bass, tinny at the high range or muffled, etc. etc. The Onkyo sounded head and shoulders above the rest at $800 and below. Your mileage may vary.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the Kenwood HTB-505, and love it! The only thing lacking is the quality of the speaker wire packed in the box.

Will do a full review after I calibrate the rig and watch a movie that will show off the unit's capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks