1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Which cheap DVD/VCR player to get

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jose Robles, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

Ok I need to pick up a cheap DVD/VCR player as a x-mas gift to the father inlaw and I see that Future Shop in Canada has the following for sale:

Panasonic PVD 4744S
    Samsung DVD-V4600
    Toshiba SDV392
    Hitachi DVPF74

I don't need any crazy set of features as he's only really going to use it to play the odd DVD/VHS of Sesame Street for our little guy when he's over at their house. He'll probably watch the odd DVD movie. He's got a Sony 48" 16x9 set (couple years old) with component inputs. That's it. There's no home theatre setup in his living room.

They're all within the $100-$200 CDN price range which is exactly what I need so I'm hoping some of you gents & ladies can help me pick out something before the end of the work day as I'm going out to get it tonight.

Thanks for any input.

Jose

2. Adam*M

Adam*M Stunt Coordinator

I don't know anything about those particular models, but keep in mind that most (all?) combo units will not play VHS video through the component outputs. Many will not even play VHS video through the s-video output. So if you want to watch DVD on the TV's component input (which would make sense on a 16x9 screen), you will have to also connect the composite output to a different input on the set to watch tapes.

I have a JVC combo unit, which does play s-video output from a tape (it is an SVHS model), so I have s-video and analog audio connected to one input (which works for DVD and VHS) and the component video and digital audio connected to another input (which can only show DVD, but I get progressive out that way, plus 5.1 audio.)

If you are just going to watch Sesame Street on it, then maybe you don't care about component video and just using the composite output would be good enough. But it is a limitation they don't say enough about, in my opinion.

3. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Check the Zenith/LG line too while you're at it. I've seen several fairly solid and affordable combos that might hit the bill for you. Also Sony.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If it's only going to be used once in awhile I would buy the cheapest one you can find with the features you want. There all probably coming out of the same few plants in China anyway or see if you can find one that's built in Japan. I saw a Combo Emerson at Wal-Mart for $79.00 that I would'nt be affraid to give a shot especially with their 90 day return policy. Again, I think it's all going to depend on how much use it's going to get. The big thing you might want to look for, if you think you might use it, is can the VCR Record from a non-copy protected DVD because some do & some don't.