Which CD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrice D., Apr 11, 2002.

1. Patrice D.

Patrice D. Auditioning

I'm looking for a CD player (5 disks) and I nailed down my choices to the following brand:

- Marantz CC 3000

- Marantz CC 4000 OSE

- HK FL 8380

I want a really good CD player and I'm ready to spend more money if the overall value worth it. Considering that the 4000 OSE is more expensive, is there any differences with the other players?

I want to connect the CD payer to an Arcam A65 and a pair of Totem Arro.

Thanks for your input.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patrice, wow! This is really cool. I too have a pair of Totem Arros. It is very rare for me to come across a fellow owner of the Arros, and I have never come across one here until now. Very cool. Great speaker! For what it's worth, I use the Arros with an NAD C 370 integrated amp that is biamped with an NAD C 270 power amp. Anyway, regarding the CD changers you are looking at, I would go with the Marantz CC4000OSE. I feel it is worth the extra money over the CC3000. Note that there is a CC4000 in between, but I would still go with the CC4000OSE. I've demoed these players at various times at local dealers and prefer the CC4000OSE. For the money, it's a warm, yet musical player. Also, I would get a Marantz changer over the Harman/Kardon unit. H/K has had reliability issues with its changers here and there, and I just don't think this player stacks up to the quality of the Marantz models. Just my $0.02.

3. Patrice D.

Patrice D. Auditioning

Thanks Keith.

Just had a chance to listen to the Integra CDC-3.1 with a NAD C370 and a pair of Totem Arros today. Seems to be a very good alternative to the 4000 OSE.

I can't find any review of the Integra on the net. The price of this CD player is significantly less than the 4000 OSE.

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Depending upon how much you wish to spend, and if you wish SACD capability, higher build quality, etc., you might look at Sony's SCD-C222ES & SCD-C555ES. They've both been recently discounted.

J&R, Oade, etc. have pretty good prices on them.

Does you Arcam have digital inputs, or does it only accept analog (in which case the DACs of the respective players becomes more important)?

One side benefit of the 222 or 555--they can be modded fairly easily/cheaply. This result would probably be a sound that could compete against much more expensive single-disc models.

Mike

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike,

I can answer for Patrice regarding her amp. The Arcam DiVA A65 is a stereo integrated amp, and as such, has no digital inputs. So, the quality of the DAC in the player is important here. I agree that the Sony 'C222ES and 'C555ES would be excellent alternatives to the players Patrice listed, but I went with her list.

Patrice,

I have not heard the Integra player. It is a changer, correct? If you can spend more, I agree with Mike's suggestion of the Sony SCD-C222ES and 'C555ES SACD/CD changers. In the US, the 'C222ES and 'C555ES are available for as little as $380 USD and $550 USD by mail. That's very reasonable considering that they originally retailed for $800 USD and $1700 USD, respectively. Anyway, if you can find a similar deal on these players in Canada, I say give them a listen. They are both great CD players and, of course, offer SACD as a very nice bonus.

It's nice that you were able to hear a demo with the NAD C 370 and Totem Arros. For the money, I feel that is a great combo. Of course, you have an excellent amp yourself.