Which CD Burning Software (done the search this one is a little different).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't have a burner, there are two where I stay and I just get somebody else to do whatever I need. My father however uses his burner for data back up on a daily basis.

He is running Win2k Pro at work and he just installed WinXP Home on the machine at home. What he wants to be able to do is maintain 3 up to date copies of all his data files. In other words at the end of the day at work he will update a CD-RW with anything he has changed. Take it home and put it on the home machine. Then if he makes any changes at home, he'll burn the change to that same CD-RW and then take it back to work the next morning.

I believe he is running DirectCD 4 on the Win2k machine right now. And XP's built in software will read, but won't write to discs created by DirectCD. The reverse is also true.

He's wanting me to get him prices for DirectCD 5.1, but the little reading I've done here would say otherwise. What would be the best option for him?

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I know the direct disc access (read/write) of DirectCD does not work on XP (even if you install the software, its not compatible). I found out the hard way when I used the multi-disc backup program in EZ-CD creator (which uses the drivers and program files of DirectCD) to backup my WinME files and then hosed my hard drive to install XP. I couldnt even get XP to read the files on the disc and had to reinstall EZ-CD creator several times to try to extract the files (the backup program compresses the files so there is only one file per disc). Basically, IMHO the current version of the Roxio CD burning suite is minimally compatible with XP. I would look for a totally different package, which it sounds like that is your initial thought too. I'm not sure what other packages offer multi-disc backups (ie if you want to backup 2GB the software just writes continuously to as many disks as it takes to get all the data down) in fact, I am looking for such a product myself. Hopefully someone else does this and can help us all out.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Well, if he wants to backup his data I would suggest doing a daily backup with a commercialy available back up program, or the one provided with the Windows OS, and then burn it to a CD-R or CD-RW. I use Nero Burning Rom for ALL of my burning needs, and I love it, never had any problems, and all my clients and friends use it. It has tons of options, as well as saving Audio tracks on your cd's to your computer in any bitrate you want, which is great.

4. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I have had good sucess with both Nero burning ROM and Blindwrite.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oops, I guess I should elaborate on what is meant by backup. My pop is a Crown Prosecutor (Canadian equivalent to a DA I think). I don't know exactly how he goes through this process, but the jist is he will be backing up WordPerfect, text, pdf, pictures, zip and database files (he wrote a program he calls PAIN, Prosecutors Automated Information Notebook, to keep track of case info and his notes on them).

The amount of data isn't huge. Besides having 3 copies of the information, he wants to be able to easily take that information back and forth between the win2k machine at work and the winxp machine at home (his job definately doesn't end at 5, he does a lot of the prep work at home). So the idea is he does stuff at the office, copies anything that has changed or is added to the CD-RW. Takes it home, copies the changes to the home machine. If he does some work at home anything that changes or gets added is copied back to the CD-RW and taken back to the office.

Files that change will be over written on the CR-RW when copied back, and new files will just be added.

Come to think of it, I'd have to ask him to make sure, but I think he maintains all of his data in one folder organized into piles of sub folders. So at the end of the day he just copies the whole folder to the CD-RW overwriting what was there. Doing the same from the CD-RW to the home machine. And then repeating the process back and forth.

PS- I thought I was posting this in the computer forum, I've alread asked a mod to move it.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Ok, now I'm starting to understand burning software a little better. I guess what my father really wants is some packet writing software. He wants to be able to treat a single CD-RW like a harddrive on both the win2k and winxp machine.

So unless someone has another suggest I guess the debate is between Easy CD Creator 5 or Nero 5.5 with InCD 3 installed.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer