Which car should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ren, Nov 28, 2001.

1. David Ren

David Ren Stunt Coordinator

I'm going off to college and I need advice on which car to get. I don't know much about cars but I was thinking of the Jaguar X-type, the Lexus ES300, Infiniti G35 or something like that. Something sporty, sleek, stylish, and young. When I say "young", I mean something a teenager would have fun driving, not cars geared towards forty year olds. My price range is around $25-40K. Any recommendations?

Dave

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

First off you must have had some pretty good summer jobs if you can afford a car like that while going away to college.

Anyway, if you want something sporty the Lexus ES300 isn't it. The IS300 is much more along the lines your looking for. The BMW 330Ci and the new Audi A4 V6 are in that category as well.

The G35 isn't bad as is the Acura TL Type-S.

Happy driving.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Heh, those cars you listed are typically driven by 40-year-olds who've worked long enough to afford one of those babies! [​IMG]
    Most college-aged kids "rice" up their cars, such as Ford Mustangs, Honda Civics, Subaru Imprezas, Honda Preludes, Ford Focus, Dodge Neons, etc. etc. Sometimes the cost of the car plus modifications approach the value of those luxury sedans you listed.
    I believe the demographic for those sedans is 40+, if the buyer statistics listed from Consumer Reports (or was it Edmunds.com?) are to be believed.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

It honestly depends on where you are going to school (climate). When I was on a break from school last year, doing the dot com thing, I drove a BMW 330Ci convertible. It was sweet. I had to trade it in though this year when I went back to school since my school's climate won't allow me to enjoy a convertible most of the time. I now drive a BMW 330i sports sedan (loaded with all of the options). It's a great everyday car. I decided against the coupe since I wanted some degree of practicality. The girls dig it too. Still, I get envious everytime I see the 1 M3 on campus. Audi makes some nice cars as well. I'm a bimmer man myself. Lexus has some decent offerings as well. They aren't that fun to drive imo. Jaguars are a little overpriced for my taste and suffer from a bad service record rep.

5. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    You can get the Mercedes C-Class coupe for about $26K. I'd get that in a minute if I didn't need the sedan for the family.

6. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

First of all, David...

Don't let certain people disuade you from getting the car you want. As a young person with a luxury car myself, I know there are people who will judge you quickly without all the facts. They don't believe younger people can have a fine taste for automobiles. They don't believe a young person can work hard to be able to afford a nice car. If you worked hard for a car in this range, good job. If it's a gift, then you are lucky - enjoy.

Sorry for the rant, now on to the cars....

The BMW 330i is a sure winner. Great mileage, fast, luxurious, and stylish. They also offer the 330xi, which is all wheel drive. I am biased since I own a BMW myself, but still they are great cars.

I drove a Lexus IS300, and it just doens't have the road feel of a BMW. They handle great, but are on of the slower cars in this class. They are really just a re-badged Toyota.

I would stay away from the Jags, but this is just my personal preference. They haven't established themselves yet as a younger generation car.

The best advise I can give is, test drive any car before you buy. Take it on an extended test drive if possible.

Jared

7. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

Cripes, I wish I had $40k to spend when I was 18. anywho, if you've got that kind of bread, check out the Volvo S60 T5. I happen to think it looks better than either the Beemer or Jag and has more juice than either -- ~260HP w/ high pressure turbo.

8. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Tom,

While the S60 does look great and have more horsepower than the 330i, it is almost a full second slower to 60 MPH than the BMW. The Volvo's torque-steer is also very impressive. Again, drive before you buy!

9. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

OK, worst case scenario:

$40,000 car for 60 months w/ $0 down at 9% is only $889.

Doesn't sound too bad... Enjoy!

10. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Hey Dave,

Where are you going to college? I'd rec'd a BMW, but if you're going to certain colleges you really wouldn't stand out b/c of your car. It's still a great car and will get you into some trouble every now and then. At my college every 2nd car is a beamer or SUV.

If not Beamer go Audi A4 or their S4, which is an M3 equivalent. Very fun cars and understated.

11. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

how about a '78 Ford Granada - paid $500 for it when i was freshman and sold it for $500 when i graduated. A generous application of Armour All...and you'll be styylliiin!!

12. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

The Jaguar is more versatile due to it's All Wheel Drive which may come in handy in the New York snow. You'll be rolling while the BMW's, Nissan and others are snowbound. It also looks good crusing in the summertime.

13. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

If all weather is your concern, get an Audi. Their all-wheel drive system is hands down better than all of the competition, including the 330xi. However, I'd find you hard pressed to find a weather condition that couldn't be conquered by a 330i with a good set of snow tires. I go to school in upstate NY and have never had a problem.

I got a 2.2% APR on my 330i lease last year btw. I doubt you can get that deal since the 2002 models are in pretty short supply. But with the economy in the toilet.... it never hurts to try.

As far as young people with luxury cars are concerned, I say enjoy it. People are just jealous. If it's a gift from your parents, cool. If you earned it yourself, even better. You don't need to apologize for your financial situation.

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Basically any of the cars listed above will do you fine (although the Jaguar has had a bad rep for reliability. Maybe it has improved in the last few years though...do the research!).
    If your main concern is image, and that you don't want to drive cars only driven by the 40+ crowd, that really depends on what college you're going to. BMWs are the "in" thing now and is no longer the domain of the 40-somethings. SUVs seems to appeal to that age group, at least in my area, whereas high school kids and up are driving BMWs. I swear, beamers outnumber just about every other sedan I see here. [​IMG]
    I got myself an '98 Accord V6...man what a reliable car. It's more car than I need actually!
    But I'm still lusting after a Lancer Evolution VII... [​IMG]

15. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Heh - my first choice would be to get a nice 6cyl Mustang and put the rest away in stocks, bonds, and the like; that way, you can retire at 40. Besides, what's more impressive: "I drive a $40K car" or "I drive a $20K car and have a $20K stock portfolio"...?
    But, if your heart is set on a really nice car - and I DEFINITELY cannot blame you!!! [​IMG] - go for the BMW. Not the 3 series - a bit ordinary, if you catch my drift - but the really sporty ones - M series. Or, get a 5 series. Again, out of the ordinary... and you can take more than one person along, for those few trips where that is important.
    Besides, the engines in them are a dream. At least by my experience - the 520 I drove a few years back made it to 217 kmh (136 mph) w/o any trouble at all - and for hours on end. Gotta love the Autobahn! Used to drive the length of Germany every weekend, and never had an issue with it. Nor fatigue...
    Mike

16. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

My two cents:

Shortly after the debut of the Lexus SC400 (and while it was seemingly the subject of every other rap lyric), I bought one for some $48,000 after tax. I was 17, the money was mine, and I had earned every penny of it.

Eight years later, I'm still driving the Lexus. If I could go back, I would definitely buy sonething else; I'm not saying I would buy a Hyundai (more like a Honda Accord), but I definitely would re-think buying a Lexus.

Why do I say this? My reasons are several-fold:

1. Though I managed to pay cash for the car, I never anticipated how expensive upkeep would be on it. Though the car rarely has problems, when it does, I pay through the nose. Don't even talk to me about gas.

2. A car is absolutely the worst investment one can make. I wish I had kept the money in government-backed securities or real estate. While I'm not starving or living in a cardboard box, I think my money would have been better invested in a condo.

3. A flashy car seems neat, but the novelty wears off. It actually becomes a liability insofar as most of my colleagues, and even the partners I work with, don't drive high-end luxury vehicles. I'm not a blue-collar worker, either -- I work for one of the 10 biggest corporate law firms in the world.

4. I know it may sound trite, but the type of people you're going to attract at college-age with a $40,000 car are not necessarily the type of people you want to attract. People will be drawn to you for all the wrong reasons.

At the end of the day, it's just a car. I know how incredibly excited I was when I got mine, but I'm telling you that it doesn't last and (at least for me) definitely wasn't worth it. I want to emphasize that from the point of view of fiscal sensibility, buying a $40,000 car just doesn't make any sense unless your net income is $80,000+/yr, year in and year out. As I said, even single, junior partners making $500K/yr at my firm are driving Acura Integras. Food for thought.

17. David Ren

Thanks for all your replies. I'm gonna check out the cars that were suggested. I'm not sure which college I'm going to but probably University of Delaware, Rutgers, or UC Santa Barbara, so weather isn't really much of a concern. I'm also not gonna drive 150MPH, so power isn't THAT great of an issue, although it's still important. Just something that looks good, reliable, with great handling. Also, any more opinions on the Jag? I heard X-type isn't a real jaguar, it's really a Ford, etc.

I've been saving up for a car for a few years now so the money is all mine. How much do you think insurance would cost for someone like me? Do you think it's wise to put the car under my mom's name to get cheaper rates?

MikeF, excellent post. I will take what you've said under consideration.

MikeV, I'd LOVE to get a BMW M series but they're just too expensive. I think $40K is the absolute maximum.

David

18. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

Dude...if you going to U of Delaware, I wouldn't take any nice car along with you. The crowd there doesn't seem to be the group who would dig it- more like steal it...not trying to bash- just my opinion...:)

Todd

19. David Ren

Todd, do you have personal experience with the people at UDel? When I went to visit, they all seemed pretty cool. Most were upper-middle-class white people.

David

20. David Ren

What about the BMW Z3 roadster? - yeah, I know getting a roadster is a bit impractical but it sure looks cool.