What's new

which car co. has the highest resale value? (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would say Toyota. Subaru is also pretty high (I've actually seen one that was 2 years old listed higher than a new one!)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Consumer Reports has information about depreciation on cars. So do the websites for Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. There's also the NADA black book (maybe, blue) information that is published weekly I think.

Consumer reports gives relative depreciation rates: cars value over time is ranked from on five-point scale from below average to above average.

Edmunds and Kelly give dollar estimates for car resale value in your market. It's useful to compare them because they can differn quite a bit.

I bought a car last December and my recollection is that Honda and Toyota have among the highest resale values (as a percentage of purchase price). Highest resale values in an absolute sense will, of course, be for very expensive cars ;)

I believe SUVs hold value very well right now, and sedans fair pretty well. Sports cars tend to lose value quickly. The price decrease is also steepest the first two or three years, then slows down quite a bit.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

I thought that was mainly on the 3 and the 5 series. The 7 series (and the older 8 series) depreciate quickly. No idea on how the X or Z series fare. Check around, you can get a great deal on a 3 year old 7 series.

I bought my 1998 Toyota Tacoma for $14.5K in 1997, put ~140K miles on it, and when it got totalled, i still got $8K for it, and it was not in good shape before the wreck. I was amazed.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I've always done well on trade in's on my Vette's :)

Bought my 89 for 14K used drove it a few years and sold it
for 15K and bought my 95 for 23 and drove it two years and
sold it for 25 and bought my 2000 for 45K and well I have
not yet gotten rid of it :)

But the C6 will be out in august of november so when I sell
it if I get 30K or even 29 I won't shed a tear considering
the fun and miles I have put on it..

Much better than buying a Neon for 8K and having it worth
3K the next year :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Nationwide Honda and Toyota. Subarus depreciate more in milder climate areas than in New England. Here in Central California you can't give 'em away, new or used, with the exception of the WRX models.

In our area the resale champs other than Honda and Toyota are really the more desirable Chevy pickup, Tahoe, and Suburban models.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Steve makes a very valid point about location.

In any of the states that get lots of snow the four wheel
drive or all wheel drive vehicles tend to have much higher
resale than the same vehicles would in fair climate states.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
In this country, must be Mercedes Benz.

My former boss once got a really good deal on a S320 (the "tank" model), being last unit, no choice in colour etc. A year later he sold it at a S$30,000 profit...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks