What's new

Which came first? The projector or the screen?? Which do I install first? (1 Viewer)

Curt Luther

Stunt Coordinator
After close to a year of working on my HT room (when I had time and money)I will be ready to install the projector (sanyo Z2) and the screen which I just ordered (Carada 104" cinema white). I am not sure which one I install first. Also does anyone have any idea on how far back I should install it to obtain the best image at that size, I will be ceiling mounting it. My seating distances are as follows: first row 8'...second row 11' and third row 14' from screen. I know first row will have some screen door, but that is a good spot for in laws with poor eye sight :D

Any advice would be great.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
We sit equadistant from the projector (right next to it), at about 10 ft from the screen, and I see screen door on our X1 - and DLP is supposed to have less screen door effect than your LCD. (Temporary set up as we will probably move in September). I defocused it a tiny bit to minimize it, but it's still seeable at times.

I would say that you should have someone help you hold up the projector and see where and what size it's shooting the image to test for screendoor, etc. Then install the PJ there and then the screen if at all possible.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Get some blackout material or something else to make a temporary screen and experiment with projector placement and then decide once you're figured out how you like it. Figure out your room for adjustment, mount the projector and then go get or make and then mount your screen. Thats how I did it :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Z2 is better as far as seeing less pixel/screendoor than the X1. It has close to the same resolution as the PJ I am using and I from 8ft back I can see no screendoor effect. I decided to project 96" with my primary seating located 12' back. You could temporarily table mount and then project the image size you want for your room with the zoom set around the middle or closer to the wide angle setting (as small as you can zoom) then you can determine the location (distance from the front wall) where you want to mount it from the ceiling.

Personally, I would mount the projector first so that you have a perfectly rectangular image with no "keystoning" then match up the screen afterwards. When mounting the projector, you want to have it square with the front wall AND also aimed for minimal or no vertical keystoning or horizontal keystoning.

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

The ISF recommends mounting the screen first, then mounting the projector based on the exact position of the final resting place of the screen. This recommendation comes from the theory that you can place the screen exactly where you want to look at it, meaning a little higher, or lower and then match the projector to accomodate. Another important reason that comes into play is the rooms integrity. There have been many installations where the wall may not be parallel to the beam where the projector is mounted or at the right distance because the brackets that mount the screen may cause distance issues.

Congrats on the new projector and best of luck with the setup!

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Being that you have a Z2, I would agree with David. Mainly due to the fact that the Z2 has both H&V Lens Shift. Any other projector without this feature should be mounted first.

Congrats on your Z2!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks