Which camcorder should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Porter, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

If I purchase a new one it will be prosumer such as Canon's GL2 or Sony's DCR-VX2000. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic AG-DVX100 because it has a 24p mode. Have any of you had any past experience with the DVX100 or any other 3 CCD prosumer camcorders?

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you can go wrong with either the GL2 or the VX2000. Both have proven to have solid performance for some time now (well, the GL2 is fairly new, but the GL1 remains highly respected to this day.)
    As for the Panny's 24p, that really wouldn't be all that useful unless you're planning to transfer to film ($$$$!). The camera does have some other nice features (30p, etc.), but I wouldn't get lured in by this one alone, unless that is something you're thinking of doing.
    A great resource for dv info is the DV Magazine website. There is a fairly useful forum there, as well as plenty of useful articles. It might be worth checking out.
    /my ¢2
    cheers,

3. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

So if I got the DVX100 it wouldn't be useful. I was curious if it would look like film when I transfered it to tape. Do you have any information on that? I am most likely leaning towards the road of indie filmmaker...

4. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

I think the DVX100 is probably a great camera. The 24p thing has just been blown a little out of proportion by many people in the online community (man, do I sound like a geek...).
    I think it's important to check out all the cameras that you're considering in person. Bring a tape with you to the store, record a bit of footage with each one, play with all the buttons, then make your decision based on which one works best for you. It's very easy to get caught up in specs, but it often comes down to things like ergonomics and inuitive operation, more so than the # of effective video pixels on the CCD.

Have fun playing with all those purty cameras....

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Well I worked on two of my friends college films and we used the Canon GL1 and let me tell you, its a dream to work with.

6. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Are any of these cameras capable of shooting more than 30fps or less than 24fps?