What's new

which cables (1 Viewer)

MartyR

Auditioning
For getting the best signal for the buck in audio or video
which of these manufacturers would be the best Tara Labs,
Tributaries, or Vampire??? I'm in the process of doing
the basement HT thing with LCD 16x9 and what not...

Martice

Screenwriter
In the case of cables, the responses that will be ultimately given to you will range from the red and white cables supplied to you with the components, to depending on what equipment you plan to use, very costly cables. If I had to give you my input, without knowing what equipment you have, I would start with the Better Cable brand, even middle of the road Monster cables and Radio Shack Gold cables. I would only recommend that you start with the lowest price cables and work your way up if you feel that you hear different levels of clarity in the lower end cables you start off with. I personally have Harmonic Tech cables supplying the juice throughout my system but that's because the varying degrees of clarity and information seemed to be presented best in my system with these cables.
In short, let your ears determine how much to spend on cables. Heck, you might even like the supplied cables better than the more costley cables. You may or maynot hear any difference at all.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
the majority of audio related websites and for that matter magazines with virtually no exception will never denounce a cable but will, with an amazing use of the english language, attribute the most amazing attributes to cables. even in situations where their findings 'could' be verified by outside means, it's never done. For getting optimum sound and video and not getting taken for a ride monetarily, you can opt for a variety of inexpensive, quality built cables. speaker cable from home depot, lowes...or perhaps AR cables from various websites such as www.partsexpress.com will provide a certain degree of visual attractiveness at prices far lower than your suggestions.
the equipment you have is irrelevant to the choice of cables. after all do you need designer gas for your car when you move from a hyundai to a benz (ok...maybe premium depending upon compression ratio). for some good laughs and the magical things cables have been said to accomplish check out audioasylum.com while for a saner approach take a peak in audioreview.com
you might consider getting a technician in to tweak your tv for optimum performance..adjust the black level and all, but cables? i think not

Dennis Jacob

Agent
I would recommend you do some reading at www.cableasylum.com In particular references from Jon Risch. He is very knowledgeable about cable in general and the technical reasons and requirements for various uses of your cables. He also has recipes for DIY cables, that I like very much. He doesn't sell anything, so has nothing to gain by providing information. If you like his cable designs, but don't want to make them yourself, You can use Wayne Wanaanen's little cable company. It is at www.boldercables.com . He makes most of Jon Risch's high-end cables and he does excellent work and reasonable prices. You can also go to Jon Risch's web site for easier access to reading about the cables. I would start with reading about interconnect cables first, for the speaker cable information builds off of the interconnect information.
------------------

PomingF

Second Unit
laugh.gif

Sorry but couldn't help from reading the analogy above on gas & cars vs cables & stereo. Some just think they have all the answers. :)
PF
[Edited last by PomingF on August 12, 2001 at 08:21 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks