Which cables would you recommend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I am only displaying my images on a 20" TV. So absolute perfect cables are not needed. However, I would like to know which cables are better, Philips Magnavox or Radio Shack's? Which would be better for audio which I believe I will be using a optical cable to connect to my receiver.

2. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Of the two choices you mention I would go with the Radio Shack especially if you are going for the Gold Series. This series has a history going back before the "boutique" cable craze, and they are well built, with gold ends that fit snuggly (sometimes *extremely* snuggly)onto your jacks which allows for maximum signal transfer.

A general Phillips Maganvox cable will complete a signal, but you really are not improviing your signal above that of the extremely cheap cables that come with many components.

Just my .02 worth.

Bill S.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, I would use Radio Shack Gold Series cables over Philips-Magnavox cables. However, as Bill said, one problem with the Radio Shack cables is that they sometimes go on with a death grip. I have used them in the past and have found that quality control in making the connectors the same size is sometimes lacking. For example, in buying pairs of Gold Series audio cables (left and right channels), I have found a few times that one cable will slide on very easily, but the other one will be nearly impossible to slip on. What adds to the frustration is that the Gold Series cables have dimples on the end that can dig hard into your fingers when you are "forcing" a cable on (or off). After experiencing this connector problem with a few pairs of Gold Series cables, I started buying Monster Interlink 400mkII cables. I will admit that they are more expensive than the Radio Shack cables, and I heard no improvement with them, but they are easier to use.
    A 1-meter pair of Monster Interlink 400mkII cables will run you $40 at Best Buy, Circuit City, or Tweeter. Another cable you might try is the Audioquest Sidewinder. Check www.audioadvisor.com and www.amusicdirect.com for pricing (you might have to call Music Direct for a discounted price). I have not used the Sidewinder, but it has the reputation as being a quality budget cable. Also, I use the more expensive Audioquest Diamondback cable for some components and am very happy with them. Audioquest makes good cables.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Radio Shack cables are good for a cheap price. Some people prefer the AR brand of cables (Acoustic Research) which can be found at places like Best Buy for about the same price as the Radio Shack cables.

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Also check out Accessories 4 Less for really good prices on the AR Pro and Master Cables.
    http://www.ac4l.com
    Aaron