What's new

which cables for dreamcast? (1 Viewer)

Tino D'Voe

Agent
I just recieved a dreamcast for free from a friend. It didn't come with any video cable though. What can use to hook it up to my projector for the best possible picture? Do they sell any component cables for it?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
:) No component but there is S-video. You can also get a VGA adapter for it that outputs a true 640x480 progressive signal. Perfect for a projector.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Get a VGA Adapter. I just sold my spare - they rock! I've got one for my HDTV - and the picture quality rivals a PS2.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, if you've got a projector, highly recommend finding yourself a VGA box... I can only imagine what the dreamcast looks like on a projector with VGA
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure the VGA box also has s-video out. That way you can switch signals easily for games that don't support VGA. BTW, with exception to Bangai-O, I haven't seen a game that couldn't be forced into VGA mode using the DC-X boot disc. And yes, it looks awesome on a projector. That's why I never got a PS2 or Cube (not enough VGA titles). I can't stand the softness of the s-video output anymore (don't even get me started on composite :) ).
Have fun!!!

Robert Mee

Agent
I just got my DC from a fellow member along with my VGA box from Dave E H. Some of the games won't load and flash the message "Incompatible A/V Cable. Please turn off power and insert new cable". Specifically the games Hydro Thunder and Evolution. I ran across the DC-X CD Loader ad. Is that what I need to play the "non-compatible" VGA games with the VGA box?

Also, what's a good source for buying DC games, other than E-Bay, and for VGA on a projector what are some of the more awesome titles to look for. I currently have:

Hydro Thunder (NON-VGA at the moment)

Evolution (NON-VGA at the moment)

Kiss Psycho Circus

Phantasy Star

Crazy Taxi 2

Sonic 2

NBA 2k1

I was a huge fan of Gauntlet at the Video arcade. Is Gauntlet Legends any good?

Thanks for any insight!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
VGA is definitely the way to go for the best possible image, but at times I found the clarity to be too revealing of the graphics. For those of who have to decide between playing on a 32" standard TV and a 17" VGA monitor, S-Video on a standard tube is a nice middle ground between startling VGA clarity and composite fuzziness. If I had a projector though, I would definitely go with VGA.

Recommended games with nice graphics:

Soul Calibur

Dead or Alive 2

Metropolis Street Racer

Sonic Adventure

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2

Grandia 2

Skies of Arcadia

Phantasy Star Online

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Another game with some sparkling, almost psychedelic graphics was Samba de Amigo. IF you don't mind dropping the cash for the maraca controllers, it's a ton of fun and I believe supports a VGA box output. It was THE game that convinced my friends they needed to own a Dreamcast, well, Soul Caliber helped too.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

Hydro Thunder will definitely load with the DC-X disc (that should be that add you saw). I don't have Evolution (anymore), so I can't comment on that title. However, I do have Gauntlets and I'm a very big fan of the series. That said, Gauntlets DC was pretty much the biggest letdown ever. Yes, the graphics are better than on N64, but they only give the 4 base classes and none of the other cool looking guys. However, I still played it, but I wish it had had more extra featurese like the PS2 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks