Which Cables do you really prefer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Caudill, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I know that many people feel strongly that premium cables either are or are not worth the extra money. But what if you had your choice of any company to provide you with all the cables you needed to oufit your system free of cost, who would you choose? In otherwords even if a cable is marginally better but ridiculously more expensive, then say which cable you think is the best. This is meant to be fun.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I would go with the BEST looking cables in this case.

Probably the really thick and beautiful Bettercables. Not only would I be assured of quality, but they look damn good too!

3. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Happy new year Jason,

If they were going to be free of cost then I would probably go with the MIT Oracle series or Nordost Valhalla. Both are EXTREMELY expensive but have gotten rave reviews.

A friend of mine has Oracle speaker cables, they look like huge power wires, I mean they are like 2 inches thick and the oracle box weighs like 20 pounds.

If I was spending my own money I would buy all CATcables, wait, I already have all CATcables, cool.

Thanks,

Josh

4. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Josh MIT for me and if I had to buy my own it would be Audioquest hey wait I already have Audioquest COOL!!HA! HA! Just kidding Josh

5. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

Does this mean that I have to replace my lamp cord speaker wires for something better?

Just kidding. I am using oxygen-free copper (16- and 14-gauge). According to the Cerwin-Vega owner's manual, anything from 18 down is fine!

I would be very interested in hearing about silver, silver-coated, the ones with the thick cable and the box (at "Snob" Audio).

If I'm paying about $25./speaker CAD for OFC, what are the options for an upgrade, and what have your ears noticed as a result?

I mean... "I got silver for $1./foot and it was like I had new better speakers."

"I paid $5./foot for xxx and it didn't sound much better than silver."

"I went to 12-guage copper and noticed a huge improvement in the highs... the sound opened right up."

... and where do you buy this stuff? After paying $35. for a cable that "Snob" tried to sell me for $175., I would look for mail or other sources for cables (which I would not do for components).

6. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I have found that there is no one brand for all your needs/wants. Cabling is very system dependant. One thing may counteract another. What may be good for your interconnect may work better with a differing brand of speaker cable ,and on and on.

7. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I would go with Nordost.

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

You dont need to spend a lot on cables to get good sound.

Nordost makes some nice speaker cables. Their S-video cable is reputed to be great. I've used the affordable flatline cables and think they offer affordable performance without breaking the bank. They use bare copper and are Teflon insulated. Nice bang for the buck

For interconnects stick to affordable cables that use good ingredients in the assembly. Leave the hyped up boutique cables to those who like pretty cables and buy into the marketing mumbo jumbo.Bare copper, good shielding, teflon insulation and good connectors will give you very good sound.

9. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I would closely examine all of my choices and choose the best built cables.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

11. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Rhinocables.com - video, digital and subwoofer cables

Boldercables.com - Speaker cables and analog audio

DiyCable.com - Speaker and audio cables

Nordost or Kimber for retail brands

If on a really tight budget but still wanted very good cables then avcable.com

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'll second CatCables.... i've got about a dozen or so in my rig currently.

13. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

And I'll second the Rhino cables, at least for the subs because I own them and do notice a difference. I'm not familiar personally with their other interconnects, but would have no hesitation trying them out.

14. Leo

Leo Second Unit

I like DH Labs Silver Sonic and JPS Super Blue Theater wire (using both in my custom-built home theater).