What's new

Which cable is better? Coaxial or Optical (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Kevin - When I switched, I did comparisons between both types of interconnects at the same volume level. It's not only louder, but the overall sound quality is better. On discs such as Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, the instruments have a fuller, richer sound. During movies, the center channel is much cleaner, dialogue-wise.
I also noticed that with the digital coax, I could turn the volume on the receiver up louder before clipping occurred.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this is easier than you think.
  1. buy two cables. make sure you can return the one you don't want.
  2. do a test with each cable. see if you hear a difference.
  3. if you hear a difference, the answer is obvious. if you don't...keep the cheaper one![/list=a]
    problem solved... :)
    okay...i'm being a little facitious (sp?) here, but really, this is an answer that will never be found. all the reports i've read say there isn't one, but...you need to listen for yourself and see if you hear a difference.
    after all, no one can hear what you're hearing, right?
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)
    [Edited last by Ted Lee on October 23, 2001 at 08:57 PM]

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Optical - susceptable to dust that might be hiding in the connectors on your components
Coax - could be used for other applications, if need be. (ie; component video cable)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks