Which Brand of Projection HDTV to buy???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Perry, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

I have finally decided to go HDTV Projection.

I am just looking for some suggestions on which brand(s) are best rated and models as well if possible that you recommend for under $4000 CDN.

Thanks a lot

Matt

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Are you looking at Front or Rear Projection?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Chris Clarno

Chris Clarno Agent

Christian
    The best sets out there right now (IMHO) are from Hitachi. They have consistantly been a leader in the big screen market, they have the best CRTs and lens system available (other manufacturers even buy Hitachi parts to use in their sets!). They offer great performance for the dollar. The UWX series comes in 43" 53" and 61" sizes and are available at many local and national retailers including SEARS. I mention Sears because they offer price matching and have an excellent return policy (30 days, no questions asked full refund, NO RESTOCK FEE!) The 43UWX10B retails for $2199 and is considered a tabletop big screen. You will need to buy either the Hitachi stand (about $200) or some alternative to get it off the ground. The Hitachi 53UWX10B goes for about $2800 and has a full size cabinet. the 61UWX10B also offers a full size cabinet and goes for about $3299. The SWX series adds an additional lens (6 elements versus the 5 found in the UWXs) and built in Dolby Digital Surround Sound (built in decoder and amps, just add speakers). The 53" goes for $3299 and the 61" comes in at $3999. All of these sets include a fabulous feature that is exclusive to Hitachi, the feature is know as VirtualHD. Basically the internal pixel multiplier (line dubler) boosts incoming non-HD signals to 540p (other manufacurers are limited to 480p) the set also incorperates a 3:2 pulldown correction curcuit which greatly improves picture quality from non-progressive dvd players! Hope that helps!

4. Mike Wolert

Mike Wolert Extra

"All of these sets include a fabulous feature that is exclusive to Hitachi, the feature is know as VirtualHD. Basically the internal pixel multiplier (line dubler) boosts incoming non-HD signals to 540p (other manufacurers are limited to 480p) the set also incorperates a 3:2 pulldown correction curcuit which greatly improves picture quality from non-progressive dvd players! Hope that helps!"

Hmm, sorry but that is wrong. The new Toshiba's the H81's and the HX81's upgrade everything to 540p and also have a 3:2 pulldown mode entitled cinema mode in the video menu. So hitachi is not the only one. I would go toshiba over hitachi. both have similar features, and in my opinion the toshibas have better picture quality and plus toshibas are cheaper. but lets see what everyone else says...

hope that helped,

Mike

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There is very little tweaking information out there for Hitachi sets. It would seem that most of those that buy the sets are uninterested in tweaking.

Regards