What's new

Which Brand Bookshelf (1 Viewer)

Jonny*D

Agent
Anyone out there who has a lot of knowledge on speakers. I'm upgrading bookshelf speakers and I need advice between

Polk PLK RTI6BK
Boston Acoustics CR85B
Klipsch SB-3
ADS CM250LCR (I think these are center speakers to be used as bookshelves)

I'm looking no more than $200 per and it's mostly for DTS theater. I usually listen to music in my car although I'd love for it to sound great with my music.

Any information would be great

Also, should the center channel speaker match the two front satellites in brand name?

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Boston CR85 and use them as my fronts. I think these are a great sounding speaker. I haven't listened to any others in your list, but the Boston won over this list:

B&W 602
Energy C1
Axiom M3Ti
Vienna Acoustics (can't remember the model)

I think the Boston are great for both music and HT. As far as the center, I would stick with the same manufacturer. I'm using the Boston VRC which is the center for the VR line. Boston claims all of their models match. I've used both the CRC and VRC and prefer the VRC.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Out of those speakers I have only heard (or only remember hearing) the Klipsch. I thought they sounded pretty good, they have pretty decent bass for a bookshelf.

About the center, it should match the fronts in brand and series if possible. For instance, if you were to get the Klipsch, do not get a Klipsch Reference Series center because it will not match at all, you'd need one of the Synergy Series centers.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Paradigm atoms, or Paradigm titans.

The atoms are probably the most popular entry bookshelf, and an amazing value. Klipsch and boston don't touch it. Haven't heard the axioms, but i beleive they are 2nd recommended, a little less mainstream though. Find a paradigm dealer and take a listen.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Speakers are personal taste. My wife's a music teacher and uses Paradigm Titans in her music room. While she likes them a lot, she (like me) prefers the Boston sound. Chris, on the other hand, prefers Paradigm.

So, you should try to listen to as many speakers as possible and find out what you like.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
Some of the speakers you have listed, Can you find them for $200 or less? One more speaker you should add to your list is Wharfedale Diamonds, 8.1, 8.2. Very good speaker for the money.

yung cheng

Grip
polk audio Lsi7
on sale for $149/each @Fry's
the lowest price w/ Vifa ring radiator tweeter.
the drawback is you need a decent receiver to make them shine.

cabreau

Second Unit
I must put in a plug for the Paradigm Atoms at $180/pair. These are ABSOLUTELY awesome for Home Theater. Find a local Paradigm dealer and give them a listen. Otherwise, I'd go with some good Boston Acoustics.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Bring some of your own music and PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!! That's the only way to decide. Both are very good speakers in the price point but each has its own sonic character. Only you can decide which you like better. If the stores are halfway decent in terms of service, they will let you play at least 30mins worth of music through them, without looking over your shoulder every 3 seconds. Try to use electronics that approximate those you have at home (or better yet, see if you can take the speakers home to demo them). You won't know unless you ask. My dealer did this for me with several speakers and it was a big help. Anyway, at the very least, have some fun with this. It might be the only time you can really crank those tunes out at high volume, without fear of offending family members or neighbours.

Good luck.

Speaking of playing, I'm off to play with my new speakers. :emoji_thumbsup:

VinhT

Second Unit
Chris,

I am trying to decide between Ascend CBM-170s and Paradigm Mini Monitors. They cost about the same assuming I receive a small discount from the local Paradigm dealer. Would you please elaborate on how the Ascends were better than the Minis?

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
i say go out and audition the JBL E30's, i use them as my fronts and they sound amazing, very good bass for a bookshelf, and i just bought the matching center the EC25 and i'm in love, they work seemless together

JonahWicky

Stunt Coordinator
You should check out Axiom Audio as well, especially their factory outlet. I'm a recent purchaser and I couldn't be more pleased with the M22ti's, VP-100 and QS-4 setup. I spent just over $800 for 5 speakers.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I've also been looking at their speakers quite seriously. It also appears that if we go to their site by clicking on one of their banners here at this forum, we save 5% off the purchase price. Finally, their speakers include free shipping. :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Curtis,

I also love the Ascend speakers - or, at least from what I've read. About the only thing swaying me towards the Axiom Audio speakers is their selection of cabinet colors. I sent Axiom an E-mail message earlier this week requesting a couple samples of their veneer colors. They informed me that they've placed them in the mail, so I should receive the selections soon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks