What's new

Which Blue Train version? (1 Viewer)

Hey all,

I was just interested in which version of Blue Train you thought gave the best sound. Either the dvd-audio, sacd, or cd?

I am starting to get into jazz and thought I should start with the classics. Anything else you could recommend would be great too. I NEED Bitches Brew to come do sacd.

thanks for your time

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
There is not DVD-A version, rather it is a DAD, which is just a high-res stereo track on a DVD, so it plays on any DVD player. It sounds great.

I haven't heard the SACD but I think the overall consensus was that it was good but not stunning and not much better than the DAD.

There are also many version on CD. I have the "ultimate" version which has bonus tracks and CD-ROM material.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate them.

Mike,

What exactly is DAD? does that mean that the Blue Train advertised in Amazon's dvd-a section isn't dvd-a? You said that most people thought the sacd isn't much better than the DAD version, so should I just get the sacd because I have no version at all? thanks for the help

Philip,

I bet the vinyl is rad. I don't have a vinyl player and I am not real sure where to start on getting a vinyl player.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

The DVD-V specification allows for up to a 24bit/96kHz stereo track to be included.

DADs are within this spec ;) They have since been replaced feature wise with DVD-Audio

Cheers,

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
DADs are as John mentioned, PCM 96/24 uncompressed. They are part of the DVD-Video spec so they will play on any DVD-Video player with full resolution (assuming the player supports 96/24 PCM - cheaper/older players will downconvert). They sound astounding, I have four of them. Exactly the same as 96/24 stereo DVD-Audio, but with no MLP or watermarking.

I will freely admit that I bought the vinyl as much to have the brilliant 12x12 cover to put in a frame on the wall of my music room as for listening.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The SACD is a hybrid and it sounds great so I give it the edge over the DAD (I couldn't hear much of a difference). On top of that the SACD has the same bonus tracks as The Ultimate Blue Train, so that's an even bigger plus ove the DAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks