Which Blue Train version?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian=Johnson, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Brian=Johnson

Hey all,

I was just interested in which version of Blue Train you thought gave the best sound. Either the dvd-audio, sacd, or cd?

I am starting to get into jazz and thought I should start with the classics. Anything else you could recommend would be great too. I NEED Bitches Brew to come do sacd.

thanks for your time

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

There is not DVD-A version, rather it is a DAD, which is just a high-res stereo track on a DVD, so it plays on any DVD player. It sounds great.

I haven't heard the SACD but I think the overall consensus was that it was good but not stunning and not much better than the DAD.

There are also many version on CD. I have the "ultimate" version which has bonus tracks and CD-ROM material.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh yeah, and Bitches Brew is on SACD, but only as a Japanese import. And it's expensive.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have the vinyl and it sounds great. Sorry I can't comment on the other formats.

5. Brian=Johnson

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate them.

Mike,

What exactly is DAD? does that mean that the Blue Train advertised in Amazon's dvd-a section isn't dvd-a? You said that most people thought the sacd isn't much better than the DAD version, so should I just get the sacd because I have no version at all? thanks for the help

Philip,

I bet the vinyl is rad. I don't have a vinyl player and I am not real sure where to start on getting a vinyl player.

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Brian,

The DVD-V specification allows for up to a 24bit/96kHz stereo track to be included.

DADs are within this spec [​IMG] They have since been replaced feature wise with DVD-Audio

Cheers,

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

DADs are as John mentioned, PCM 96/24 uncompressed. They are part of the DVD-Video spec so they will play on any DVD-Video player with full resolution (assuming the player supports 96/24 PCM - cheaper/older players will downconvert). They sound astounding, I have four of them. Exactly the same as 96/24 stereo DVD-Audio, but with no MLP or watermarking.

I will freely admit that I bought the vinyl as much to have the brilliant 12x12 cover to put in a frame on the wall of my music room as for listening.

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The SACD is a hybrid and it sounds great so I give it the edge over the DAD (I couldn't hear much of a difference). On top of that the SACD has the same bonus tracks as The Ultimate Blue Train, so that's an even bigger plus ove the DAD.