Which Big Screen TV is Better

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Buszko, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Dennis Buszko

I have been looking at 2 Big screen's this will be my first one.

They are:

1.)Toshiba 57hx81 the other one is:

2.) Mitsubishi WS-55819

I want to know what the pro's and cons of both so I can purchase one by Saturday.

Thanks

Dennis

2. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

Of your two choices, the Pioneer SD533HD5 is better[​IMG]
    But I am a bit biased......!!![​IMG]

3. Jerry Wright

Jerry Wright Agent

I hung around and researched this forum for over a month before I made my decision. I bought the Tosh 50H81, and I'm very glad I did. I read too many negative comments about the Mits.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dennis,

Of the 2 models you mentionned, the Toshiba will do the best job of displaying regular ntsc cable or satellite pictures. The Tosh has a better line doubler and better stretch modes for 4/3 material.

For HD and DVD, the Mits might be just slightly better.

I have a Sony KP57HW40, and would recommend it over either the Toshiba or the Mitsubishi. Toshiba's conversion of 480p to 540p causes loss of detail in dvds, the Sony will display 480p natively. Sony's line doubler and stretch modes are also better than Mits.

Sony's HW40 sets also have consistently good out-of-the-box pictures and look very nice indeed with just an AVIA calibration.

5. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Hi Dennis, Welcome to the Forum.

A few years ago, that was probably the most asked question on HTF. 16x9 HD ready set were just becoming affordable and many like myself were asking the same question. Many felt that the Toshiba looked better, but the Mitsubishi seemed more reliable. Both needed considerable tweaking and/or ISF calibration along with Avia or Video Essentials to get best out of their sets.

I went with a Mitsubishi for the following reasons.

1. I liked the remote. It was easy to navigate, accessing the menus plus the buttons and functions were easy to remember.

2. I liked the way each input saved independantly from each other input. I could set up my DVDs picture and it won't lock the VCR into the same settings. Some sets would If memory serves me right?!

3. I liked that Mitsubishis' engineering all went into RPTVs. They no longer make tube sets. Not sure about Plasma?

Now, out of the box the set didn't look great. I bought and used Avia. Had the set ISF calibrated (Highly Recommended) and used a Mondial Magic filter along with a VansEvers line cleaner (Also Highly Recommended). At the time I had a Sony DVP-500 480i DVD player. Movies looked great and cable got much better after all the tweaking. I've since bought a Sony DVP-9000ES progressive scan DVD player. Picture looked fabulous. I've since sold the Mitsubishi having moved into an apartment till I get into another house.

Now, I'm sure sets have gotten better. More reliable, better guns and are even internally upgradable.

My long winded point is......You got to find what you like or don't like about which ever set. There are even more brands to choose from than when I was looking. Prices are lower and option are even more diverse.

And your still going to have to tweak the Hell out of it to get the best picture from your set.

Good luck to you.

6. Dennis Buszko

Guys,

Thanks for Welcoming me to the HTF. Thanks for all the information. I have decided to go with the Mitsubishi 55819. The Toshiba will not fit going down my stairs to my rec-room Theater room. The Toshiba is 56inchs tall and the Mitsu is 49 3/4 tall .

Thanks again

DB

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Dennis

You went from shouting to whispering. You went in the right direction but just a little to far. Perhaps if you use the preview button you can see what size font you will end up with. Good to have you aboard.

Artie

8. Dennis Buszko

Thanks!! what is a good size font??? I hope this size is cool. You how use newbies can be before we dial it in.

9. Dennis Buszko

Lets try this size #3

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

You got it now buddy.

11. Dennis Buszko

Great ,

Thanks for the help!!!

DB

12. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

A good choice. IMHO the Mitsubishis look better then Toshibas or Pioneer Elite once they are fully calibrated. Check out the Mitsubishi TV area at www.hometheaterspot.com
    Oh, and a progressive scan DVD player is an absolute MUST with these sets IMHO. There is a JVC unit that goes for around $225.00 at Best Buy that will look great.
    Good luck [​IMG]

13. Dennis Buszko

Thanks for the advise on the DVD player.. I have a Technics DVD-A10N DVD/DVDaudio player and I myself love this unit.I have a panasonic dvd-310 (still do) I like them both.. Thanks for the heads up I'll keep that unit in mind for a Xmas gift....