What's new

Which beginner audio setup would you suggest? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got a DVD player and am now considering my first purchase on the audio side. These options are two of the finalists:
Option 1 http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=kenhtb504
Option 2 http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html
and
Link Removed
If I look on pricescan I can find the HTiB for ~$380+shipping. I can get receiver and speakers for ~$400+shipping. With option 1 I get a "subwoofer" and a receiver with more features. With option 2 I would get what looks to be a better receiver. With the speakers it's really kind of a toss-up and I realize that none of the speakers are that great, but either way would be a lot better than the TV speakers. Which would you recommend and why? I'm just looking for opinions on these two options, but I'm also considering using a receiver I already have and getting a better pair of speakers/ saving up awhile more and getting better everything/etc. ad nauseam. Thank you for any and all opinions. They're greatly appreciated.
[Edited last by Jonathan Lofgren on September 17, 2001 at 12:18 AM]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Fluance?! What is Fluance? Never heard of it.
confused.gif

Jonathan, I've read many positive comments here from owners of the Kenwood HTBs, as well as HTBs from other manufacturers. Sherwood receivers seem to have a good following also. I have never used any of the gear you are considering, but I would say shop around for awhile. You may have to spend a bit more in the long run, but you will be better off buying a receiver and speakers separately rather than an HTB.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Not to turn my nose up at the concept of a "beginer" system but their downfall is ussually the japanese speakers. While we may like onkyo, yamaha, kenwood, sony,etc for their receivers, we can't ignore the fact that their speakers are ...well,shall we say , less than adequate. Try to settle on a decent receiver and then look at inexpensive "sattelite" speakers from a good SPEAKER company,,,AVS 500'S from Mirage, Energy's take 5 system, klipsch quintets, boston acoustics system8000, etc.......

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your quick replies. I was more looking to get decent sound as cheap as possible. As I have been researching I have seen that the Kenwood system has been highly recommended for a HTB and I was just wanting opinions on that vs. a receiver and speakers. I really don't have a set budget I'm really just thinking right now. I hadn't heard about the Fluance speakers either until someone else here suggested them for an inexpensive set of speakers. According to that they really weren't too bad. I also currently have an OLD receiver that I could use. I could then just get a pair of speakers and work with those. I was just trying to see what you guys thought of these extreme entry-level options. Thanks again for all the replies.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i would definitely go with separates. i, personally, do not like htb systems. i find the speakers to be the weakest link.
save up and buy the components slowly. it'll take you longer, but you'll end up with quality components that'll last you a long time.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'll vouch for the Kenwood HTB systems.
I'm also an advocate for using speakers from a speaker only company....but for the money you pay for the HTB-504, you can't complain about the speakers you get. I don't know of a better sounding 6 channel speaker setup you can buy for $125 anywhere.
Still, that would be the part you would want to upgrade first, but again, the speakers sound excellent for the price.

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the Kenwood HTB-504 based on recomendations I got all over the web.
It sounds GREAT, I am no audiophile, but it sounds as good as my Dad's system that he put together seperately for over $1000...
Kenwood HTB-504 = Great Deal..
I got mine for $479.99 at Circuit City... I would suggest using pricewatch and going to Sears during the day tho.. they will match prices online, but the online company must have phone support people.. so go during the day, one site had the Kenwood for $389.99.
Don't let the HTF hardcore members dissuade you, the speakers that come with the Kenwood HTB 504 are perfectly fine IMHO... and before any hardcore members retort, have you ever heard the Kenwood HTB-504???? It's not the best, but it is an extremely good VALUE if you aren't concerned with super-high-end stuff.
Aaron Croft
[Edited last by Aaron Croft on September 17, 2001 at 03:48 PM]

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
IMO, you should try and look at one of the " mini " systems by Paradigm or PSB or Jamco or Klipsh.They might cost you more money ,BUT you will regeat spending money on package's you can get at Best buy " type" stores.
Eric

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I agree with Aaron and a couple others....the Kenwood HTB is an incredible deal. The speakers have gotten better over the past couple of years and now include a decent powered sub.
That said, the speakers....especially the front 3, will be the first on your upgrade list. Once you do upgrade those speakers, you'll see what we mean.
I started with a Kenwood HTB a couple of years ago...and while I don't have any of that original equipment remaining in my current HT, I kept the receiver for quite a while. After upgrading my mains and center, it was almost like I had completely changed the front end (receiver). Those little Kenwoods are incredible receivers for the money and I would venture to say that the speakers only hold about 10% of the overall value of the HTB. If this is what your budget will allow you, it's a great place to start. It also has all of the necessary wires and interconnects as well as a great "guide" on how to wire the set-up yourself.
A GREAT place to begin.
Jeremy

John Gates

Second Unit
Somebody posted something about Fluance speakers here a while back... do a search and see if you can find it. If memory serves, it was on that "from OH NO to NOT BAD" thread....
The reviewer had some very positive things to say, as I recall....
John

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
If all you're used to is TV speakers, then by all means get the Kenwood system. Wouldn't we all love to build up via separates? I would. But damn, if you have a lot of other priorities, and you aren't rich, then having some decent surround sound--which is what the Kenwood offers--is WAY MORE desirable than listening to plain TV sound. Yeah, it's not the most refined sound, and it won't play super-duper loud, or super duper low, but you know what, it'll do the job.
Everyone on this forum should be grateful he's considering Kenwood and not Bose. We should have a thread listing our first home theaters. It would make us realize that all--speaking only for the non-wealthy ones---HT junkies have humble beginnings.
Peace, and happy listening.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Jonathan, welcome to the forum!
I would be very leery of those Fluance speakers. I have never heard of them and thats understandable since they are an internet only buy-option. Don't get me wrong, THERE are great speakers/electronics to be bought on the net but after checking out their website it left me scratching my head.
For one it states "all sales at Fluance.com are FINAL. No refunds, credit or exchanges for other products will be accepted."
When selling via the net this is BAD business. You can't possibly hear them for yourself so your taking their word, and if not satisfied your screwed.
Fluance says they are designed "by our research and development office is Sweden" even though there is no address or anything Scandanavian related, its all in Ontario." It also states no overseas orders. A Swedish speaker design not even shipping to their homeland? Sounds phoney
The website is poorly done that just breathes "buy buy buy".
the speakers themselves look like a typical house brand. Nothing spectacular.
But to me the most important thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is their similarites with Nuance speakers. check out
nuanceaudio.com
for more on these. People talk about the value of Bose and how terrible the value is. And I agree 100%. A Canadian speaker company though takes the cake when one talks of bad value. Its called Nuance. They go after the young male demographic by bombarding newspapers with flyers and ads(and even throw in some pics of hot women for good measure).
They sell these at smaller "big box" retailers and take young guys to the cleaners. Speakers that list for $7000.00 that are obvious to most people in this forum they are not worth 20% of that. Or even 10%.
I think this is Nuances attempt at an internet market and even though the prices at Flunace are a lot more reasonable than Nuance just looking at pics of the Fluance speakers has chills going down my spine.
Nuance/Fluance...I think I would stay away from both. Just my thoughts but beware...
------------------

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
OK, after thinking about it it probably makes sense to spend the money on a pair of better speakers. That's what most of you guys have said too. I guess I don't really want to buy something and already be thinking about upgrading as soon as I get it out of the box. Thanks again for all of your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks