What's new

Which B&W speaker to buy? (1 Viewer)

Rich Co

Grip
Hi guys,
Just would like to chime in. I shop for a pair of speakers last December. My brother recommende the CDM NT1's since i don't have that big a room. But when we wanted to audition them they were out of stock. The stores only had an 805. So i listened to them powered by a receiver since thats what i had, they sounded very very good compared to my HTIB. Then we went to a listening room where we listened to a Dyne Countour 3 and the 805. I loved the 805 but i did not get the stands, they were too expensive for me. They look great (cherry red) and sound great but they force you to upgrade. :D
Now i've got the 805 and will be upgrading to separtes next month, probably Rotel. I also have the HTM2 since the wife said tha they have to match. I'll be going for the cheaper 601 S3 when they arrive for my surrounds. Also, i will be buying SVS this month.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Rich:

Good choice for surrounds. I use 601s for my rears with the CDM1SEs and I think they do a great job. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome sounding (and looking) system. I'm also using Rotel gear.

Rich Co

Grip
Mark,
Thanks. I am excited as hell. I expect to complete it around june or july depends on the availability of the 601 S3.
I just saw the rotel gear in silver finish for the same price as black (link from Receiver/AmP). I want those:D

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Rich,

What was your impression of the Dyne Countour 3 vs the N805? How are the price there on these products.

Also did you listen to Sonus faber (Signum, EA II, etc?)

Thanks,

Gil

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Rich, sounds like you have some nice speakers there, I know what you talking about as far as upgrading, have fun!!

Kevin Biller

Agent
Thank you everyone for your input. Although it utimately comes down to what I think as to what 'sounds good', I find the opinions of other members of the HTF to be a great help. It is always interesting to find out how others have decided apon there current system choices. Finances definitely are a large factor, but 'good sound' is even more important.

I don't expect this to be my last upgrade by any stretch. Rather just another step in my audio journal. It's been a great ride so far.

Thanks again all for your opinions and biases. Now I shall venture forth and make my own decision.

Rich Co

Grip
Gil D,

The Countour 3 was kinda more laid back, and did not sound as dynamic compared to the 805 probably because they bought were tested using the same equipment. I listened to Sonus Concetino, i did not like the look and the sound, this was probably due to the fact that the store did not have original cd and i had not brought my own and the listening area was not well treated.

Prices for Countou3 was about US$2,800. I got the 805 very cheap, only about US$1300.

KeithR

Second Unit
I'm sorry, the Danes must have been poorly setup. The 3.0s have tremendous bass as a true 3-way, and the overall sonic comparison to 805s should have been easy. They also cost 5500, not 2800 vs 2k for the 805s. I just don't believe that total dynamics on that big of a floorstander was beat by the relatively small 805s without a sub.

Were you talking about the 1.3MKIIs?

One thing to add, is the 1.3SE is one of the best speakers I have ever heard...the 805 is not even close, albeit the 1.3SE is considerably more expensive. If you have the chance to audition the SE, the B&Ws will drop off the radar.

KeithR

Second Unit
lol...I know I pick on B&Ws a lot, but listen to the 1.3SE, then post back and tell me your impressions. I am very curious, as I haven't heard anything under 6-7k get close to the integration and sheer musicality of it. My laundry list of speakers is getting pretty large, and I would say the 1.3SE even bests my Wilson Cub IIs, which cost 3x as much including stands. I don't miss the Cubs at all as a matter of fact. This is the first speaker that I can't find a problem with, no matter how I try...I have gone through cd collection 2-3x since I have had it over the last few weeks, and nothing sounds bad on it. My toe just taps the entire time...
If you look at the design that went in to the 1.3SE, it is just amazing by itself. It is a cost no object monitor that Dynaudio brought to market (ie. regardless of price point). Separate crossover boards for tweet and woof, customized matched driviers, etc. And even at 3500, a darn value (you can find them much cheaper, new, if you search around) and pretty darn good looking in bird's eye maple that comes standard on it (premium finish on all other danes). And it may even have better bass than an 804....;)
fwiw, there are a few B&Ws I don't mind...the CDM7NT is a lot of bang for the buck, and the 802 and 800 are fine speakers as well. However, at that price, I would probably consider Revel and Wilson as well, and do a shootout.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Keith,

I have not heard one bad word about Dynaudio except maybe distribution is limited and the pricing . When I get a chance I'll have a listen and report back.

I just upgraded my Concertos with the Sonus faber Signum and I am really impressed even running them with my midfi stuff and they are still breaking in. I think Signum mated with a sub is a better setup than with N805 with the same. More dynamic, more detail and better midrange if you can believe it. I think even the Concertino gives N805 a run for the money IMO in some respects but it's all a matter of personal taste. Rich got a great price on the N805's and european products tend to be less expensive in his location.

Gil

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I think that it is all a matter of personal taste (obviously) and B&Ws have a different sound than Dynaudios (which, don't get me wrong, are a GREAT speaker), interesting that you talk about Revel, because Revel and B&W have some similar characteristics, were the Dynaudios don't.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
Those prices on the Dyn's really opened my eyes- finally, audio equipment that is substantially cheaper in Australia that the US rather than the other way around! :)
Btw, I have heard the 1.3MkII SE Contour's twice, once in a Musical Fidelity setup (A3 pre/power and X-ray cd player), and once in a Rega setup. They had excellent detail retrieval and a truly stunning midrange. However, the one major negative was that the bass while *very* extended for such a small speaker, did get boomy at around the 50-80Hz mark. They were sited well clear of walls, and there were bass traps installed. However, the loss of bass tightness would dissuade me from purchasing this speaker (if I were looking at spending so much...)
Cheers,
Mike
P.S. You could purchase the 1.8's for that amount of money here in Oz. Shipping those heavy suckers is another matter ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks