Which B&W speaker to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Biller, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Kevin Biller

Kevin Biller Agent

I have been holding off completing my home theater with B&W speakers till after I get my income tax refund. I am currently running with the following: 602 S2 fronts, CDM-CNT center, and Paradigm Mini-Monitors as surrounds.

My orginal plan was to move the 602's to the rear (replacing the Paradigms) and put a pair of CDM-1NT's in front with the center. Does anyone feel it is worth the extra expense of the CDM-7NT's or 9NT's up front instead? I currently have dual SVS 20-39's as my subs and run my speakers as small, so I didn't know if it is would be worth it?

Has anyone had a similar decision? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

I just recently upgraded my B&W speakers.

I had 602's in the front and replaced them with CM4's. I think the CM4 is an outstanding speaker and I recommend you give it a listen.

Good luck!

3. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

The CDM 1nt and 7nt use the same mid driver, the big step up is in the "surroundless" 9nt's midrange driver. You have the Woof's covered, to say the least, so I would go with the 1's or the 9's.

If you listen to a lot of 2 channel stuff, I would buck up and go with the 9's. But for multichannel music and HT with those Subs, get the 1's and enjoy.

I don't mix my Home theater gear and my 2 channel stuff, I keep them in separate rooms. This may help explain where my options are coming from.

$0.02

4. Raymond D'amato

in my opinion i would recomend the cdm9nt b&w's. I own a

complete b&w system. I deceided to go with the nautilus

series because my income tax check came in. In my humble

opnion the speakers are the most important in any system.

I sold audio for over 25 years and saw customers make that

mistake time after time.

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I'm with Tom G. on this, but that's because I also have a separate two-channel system. If you desire a music system combined with HT and don't want to use a sub in two-channel, then the 9NTs are the way to go.
    However, since you have dual SVS subs, you might as well use them.[​IMG]
    The 1NTs should do you just fine.

6. Kevin Biller

Kevin Biller Agent

I do use my H.T. for double duty also as a 2 channel setup. I am partial to the look of a monitor style speaker vs. floor standers and I like the integration of my SVS with my speakers. I have listened to the CDM-1NT's before and found them a noticable improvement over my existing 602's. However they should be as they cost twice as much.[​IMG]
    Out of curiousity how much more is the 805's vs. the 1NT's. I can get the 1NT's for about $1500 CAN. I think the 9NT's are at least double than. I have seen the 805 and they are a very attractive speaker, however I yet to give them a serious listen. If one went with the 805's, will they blend well with CNT center channel? They are probably out of my league but it doesn't hurt to dream.
    My next planned upgrade is into separate amplification and then use my receiver (Integra 7.1) as a pre-amp. However speakers are definitely first on the upgrade list. Does this upgraditis ever end???? [​IMG]

7. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Kevin, I too am a big fan of the monitors. I believe the 1nt's would be ideal for your situation. When you move up to the Nautilus Series, you are entering world class territory. These would not be as good a match for your receiver. They are a little too revealing for a HT receiver, even with external amplification. I like to think the n805's are better reserved for high end separates in a 2 channel environment.

$0.02

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

If you go Nautilus go with the N804 and skip the N805. The N805 has the same midwoofer as that used in the CDM1NT & CDM7NT.

It's more difficult than you think to integrate the sub with monitors. I find it's easier with monitors and floor standers that extend down to around 50Hz. The CDM1NT -3dB is 60Hz. The CDMCNT goes deeper and has more sensitivity than the 1NT and is a great center speaker for the money IMO. I would try both the CDM1 and CDM7 in my home and then decide.

Yes the 9nt has a clearer midrange due to the FST and slightly more bass with the dual woofs, but the 7nt is not that far behind. The N804 is the big leap upwards. The problem is that once you hear the 9nt vs the 7nt then you will want the 9nt, and then when you hear the N804 vs the 9nt then... and on and on it goes.

9. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Gil, I don't totally agree with that, I have the 7, my dad has the 9, (in the same house), I can tell you that when I was considering speakers, and I listened to my dads VS the 7, I wasn't so sure that the 9 sounded "better", but it did sound slightly different. Since I was left unconviced of the $600 in price difference and loved the sound of the 7, I ended up with the 7, I don't look at the 9 with one bit of envy (the 804 is another story), for $100-$150 more perhaps I would have considered the 9, just for peice of mind, but now I am glad I didn't get them, the 7 is great (also, technically speaking it matches better with the CDMCNT center).

btw, the 805 is a great speaker and so is the driver that the cdm7,1 and 805 (as well as many of the previous 800 series speakers, until the FST driver came out), there is NOTHING to be ashamed of in that driver.

I would advise going and comparing, the 1s maybe enough, but I listen to some 2 channel music (without sub) and DVD-a and SACD withOUT bass management, so the 7 fit real well for me. BTW, I also have an SVS it sounds great with the 7s as well. I couldn't be happier (unless I had the 804s)

10. Kevin Biller

Kevin Biller Agent

I surprised by the comment that the 805 is too revealing to be paired with a receiver/out board amplification. I was always under the impression that you buy the best speakers you can afford. Infact I have read numerous reviews of individuals who run Nautilus speakers still using a receiver a pre/pro. In all likelyhood the 805's are out of my price range anyways. However there is nothing wrong with considering them.

What is the cost difference between the CDM-1NT and the Nat.805 anyways? I asked this earlier and didn't get a response.

11. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

over $1000 [​IMG]

12. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

and that's US dollars

13. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

actually the CDM1 is about $1100 and the 805 is $2000, BUT you also need stands (don't buy cheap ones, so I would add another $150-500 for those).

B&W's are very revealing in general and it will show faults in your system and the recording (if there are any). I wouldn't run the 805 off of a receiver unless it is a Rotel, McIntosh, B&K or the $2000-3000 models from Denon, et al.

14. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Rodney,

The nines sound clearer, no doubt about it. Whether it is worth the $600 or not is very debatable. From the Diva thread I thought you preferred the 9nt over the 7nt just not for $600 more. Since I am still debating between 7's and 9's myself, how much would YOU pay for a used pair of 7nt or 9nt's in like new condition considering the 20-25% discount and warranty you get from your local dealer?

I had the CDM-SE center which had the same midbass driver as the NT and it's very respectable. But I believe for mains the extra woofer and greater cabinet size of the 7's over the 1's is well worth it. Should have no problems with sub integration either and 2 channel w/out sub is a nice option. I have no doubt the CDM7nt is the jewel of the CDM-nt series in terms of performance and value.

Gil

15. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I'm also considering the CDM 7NT's along with the the CDM CNT. However, the CDM CNT is one ugly center channel speaker. How does it sound as I didn't get a chance to listen to it since my dealer didn't have it?

More importantly, my side surrounds are inwall Boston DXPRO's and my rear surrounds are Boston ceiling 336pt's. I'm stuck with them cause they are already installed in my drywall. However, my sub is a B&W ASW2000. I'm debating the Boston VRM80 or VRM90 for L/R and VRMC for center. I'm just worried about the match of the B&W with the Boston surrrounds...should I worry about this?

16. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

CDM CNT is one big center speaker. If you want better looks you need to ante up to the Nautilus HTM2 ($1K retail) which should have very similar tone and smoother highs.
    B&W has inwall speaks but they are expensive. There were some on ebay not too long ago. I wouldn't sweat the rears too much at least for now. You can also probably mount CDM-SNT over them later on [​IMG]

17. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Gil, I got my 7s for $1600 shipped and without tax (a great deal), they go for that or more on ebay (used) all the time since B&W doesn't allow internet sales, etc...

I would think that anything arounf $1600 or less would be fair, if that are in great condition.

As far as me preferring the 9 over the 7, I would maybe pay $100-150 (NOT over 200 for sure) for them, I guess the only reason I would prefer them, even though I really don''t think they sound better is because they use a slightly larger cabnit and an extra driver so if I moved into a larger place it might be better for 2 channel mode. Also even though I can't seem to conclude that the 9 is a better speaker, the fact that the 804 and up use that FST driver makes me feel like it is supposed to be better, and even though I acn't say "it sounds better", it would give a little peace of mind in the sense there is certainly know way that is is worse, so it is proabably safe to say that it AS good or BETTER. I did a lot of auditioning before I bought and sense my dad owns the 9s and I have a friend who has a dealer, it made it very easy to do it. I really never turn back and say "man I wish I got the 9s" (and believe me, I do this a lot with things I buy), but I do dream about the 804 and will someday end up with them, but I certainly don't think that the 7 is a slouch and I am VERY VERY happy with them.

I agree, the CDMCNT is huge, I considered the HTM2, but at $1000 vs $600, and they have the same driver and tweeter (debatable, that I will not open another arguement in this thread about this subject), I couldn't justify the $400 difference. The CDM line has a very nice cabnet (even though the 800 are better, the cdms have NOTHING to be ashamed of), plus I that the CDMC goes slightly lower in freq.

18. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

19. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

funny how when I say that I don't want to argue about it in this thread, you bring it up. No wonder why the administrators have to keep posting the Rules of the forum, I am getting the feeling that some people like to argue just for the sake of argueing. I have my info and opinions and you have your "facts" so we will just leave it at that. I don't know why it is such point of contention with some people. btw, saying that they have the same drivers doesn't make it as good of a speaker, the cabnet and the cross-over (perhaps THE most important thing) are different.

20. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

So now the forum members have your info and opinions and they have the facts from Chris Browder, an Executive Vice President at B&W.
    I guess we will all have to decide for ourselves. [​IMG]