Which Axioms for 16x12 room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Molnar, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Thomas Molnar

Gang

I was all set to buy Paradigm Titans or Atoms until I cam acroos you guys. As I stated in my subject line, my "home theater room" (ie living room) has the dimension of 16 ft in the N-S direction and 12 ft in the E-W direction. There are solid walls to the N, S, and W. It is open to the E. Our sofa is right up against the S wall. The TV is a few feet away from the N wall. Keep in mind that I will have to mount the rears on the S wall.
    So, what do you guys recommend? I have an $800 or so budget. I am going to be keeping my Energy ES-8 sub for now. I have the original Take 5 system that I am wanting to upgrade. Hopefully the Axioms will sound better for music than the Take 5.
    Any suggestions for Axiom speakers and mounting brackets that will allow me to "point" the speakers down to the listening level? Thanks!

Tom

By the way, these will be connected to a Denon 3802.

2. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    Do you want bookshelf speakers or floor standing towers. I personally own the M3tis(fronts), VP100(center), and QS4s(surrounds). My room is 18.5 x 15 with tall ceilings and totally open on one side of the room and my system sounds great in my opinion. I plan to upgrade to m22s in the near future. I would suggest getting m22s for fronts with a vp150 for the center. This will leave you with hardly any money for the surrounds. Sometimes you can find these speakers in the Factory Outlet on Axiom's web site and save some money. Go to http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html for the factory outlet. If I was doing it all over again I would spend as much money for the front three and buy the surrounds later. One word of advice is do not buy their subs. I bought one and have been very disappointed with it. Their are better subs out their for the money. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Daniel T

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My room is ~14x25x9, and is partially open to a raised dining area on the right rear. The M3s had no problem filling this room with sound. With your room size, M3s will probably be enough, but I believe you said you were buying a 3802, so I'd probably go with Daniel T's recommendation about going with M22s as mains.

4. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

the m22s are a big step ahead of the titans (i did an a/b comparison w/ my friend's titans. the atoms are exactly like the titans, but w/ less bass extension), and i've heard that the m3s are only a bit worse than the m22s. so i would recommend getting the vp150 and m22s now, then get some surrounds later. or if you must have a system now, get a vp100, m3s and qs4s. the should go over your budget by $5 if my math is correct.

p.s. it is my understanding that the m22s can compete w/ paradigm's monitor series and w/ some reference. anyone please correct me if im mistaken.

5. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

You might want to consider the M2s they are onsale for $180 a pair. You just can not go wrong plus free shipping. If they do not sound better send them back! Link to sale on my bare bones site.
    Admin note - do not post affiliate links on this forum again.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The M3s already do not have very low bass extension (should be paired with a sub), so I would expect the M2 to be pushing the limit. They might be fine as surrounds though. (all of their speaker prices include shipping, AFAIK)

7. Yuli

Yuli Agent

I too would recommend the m22s and vp150 (qs4s for rears). The m22 are some great sounding speakers and i liked them much more than the Monitor 3s i compared them to. But you might need to buy stands for them and a sub is a must. If you like floor standing speakers, check out the m40s. They are going for cheap now and will be around the same price area as m22+stands, plus you won't need a sub right away to get some decent bass.