What's new

Which Avia & Video Essential patterns are incorrect? (1 Viewer)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Hi, I bought the toshiba TN50X81 hd-ready 4:3 set 3-15-2000, calibrated with Avia first, ISF'd by Louis Carliner in June 2000.
Now I just bought the 57HX81 and with my RCA DVD player set to 16:9 Widescreen in the menu and the TV set to Full Avia doesn't appear to display some of the menu's or patterns properly for widescreen adjustments. I have to set the dvd player to 4:3 Standard and TV to Full to check my overscan(which suprisingly is set to 4% on top, left and bottom, and 5% on the right side right out of the box) and the convergence patterns(which also suprisingly straight as heck right out of the box, even better than the geometry and convergence was on my TN50X81 before and after being ISF'd).
I went ahead and ordered Video Essentials yesterday(I know it's being replaced but current dvd has a couple uses the new one wont that I read about, cant remember them at the moment) I'll order the new Digital Video Essentials later.
My question is:
Which patterns should be avoided on AVIA?
Which patterns should be avoided on VE(example: VE's overscan from what I understand isn't centered properly).
I think we all could benefit from this list of Use and Don't Use patterns of Avia and VE.
Thanks for any info.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Daryl:
From what I understand:
Avoid geometry-based test patterns on VE. For sure I know that the overscan pattern is incorrect.
On Avia, avoid using the test patterns for adjusting grayscale. Guy Kuo noted that a small amount of colour leaked into the gray fields of these patterns, meaning that they are inaccurate tools for adjusting grayscale. Use VE for grayscale adjustments.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks