What's new

Which AV Recever. Pioneer Elite or Marantz (1 Viewer)

Chris.Au

Auditioning
It is a hard task to choose AV receivers, there are so many good products to choose from. I have norrowed it down to two. Pioneer Elite VSX 49TXI and Marantz SR 9300. They are very similar in what they offer, but I am looking for advise from people who can make it a litlle easier to make a final decision. (HELP!) :confused:

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
Really drastically different sounds from those two units so it should simply be which you prefer demoing them side-by-side.

I've always much preferred the sound of Marantz components over Pioneer, but it's a mattter of personal taste.

You'll be getting an excellent unit either way!:emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unless you are getting a great deal, at the price point of these units, I would strongly consider separates.

The 49txi offers quite a bit more power than the 9300, but the 9300 is a very solid unit as well and it sounds wonderful with music. I am a Marantz guy, but between those two, I'd probably go with the 49.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
There are many factors to consider when considering separates and receivers - only at the low end is the decision easy. Once you get to $1000 or so, you can go either way so there's alot more to it than how much you're willing to spend.

Here's a recent thread:

Separates vs. Receivers

My upgraded 9200 (basically a 9300 now) sounds incredible - warm and natural. If you do a fair amount of music listening, the Marantz would have the edge in my house.

Chris.Au

Auditioning
Thanks Guys.
I have heard that a Marantz is a better built unit.
I'd like to know if you are Marantz Guy, what would push you towards 49. I have always wanted a gutsy sound, comming from a background of guitars and Marshalls.
It is hard to test both side by side. No-one stocks both, side by side. ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I have an 8300 :) and music was a primary factor in that decision. Hearing the 49 was very impressive though - it definitley has more power than even the 9300, music sounded very good as well on it. IMO, the DACs are better in the 9300, so if you don't have a very large room and/or you have efficient speakers AND you listen to a lot of music, the 9300 would be the way to go. If you can get the 49 for a price close to the 9300 though, then it becomes a tougher choice, and I really don't think you could go wrong with either. If you are looking at MSRP pricing, the 9300 would get my vote.

Chris.Au

Auditioning
I have made the choice and have decided to go for the Marantz. I will be picking it up in a couple of days. So I can't wait. I'll post my opinion soon. Thanks for all the input guys I do appreciate it. PS have decided to upgrade on the remote, to RC 5200.

Chris.Au

Auditioning
The Marantz only arrived today, so I haven't had a chance to install and listen. Will be picking it up tomorrow and will probably take a couple of days to set up the whole system. but will report back, :D Sorry :b

Chris.Au

Auditioning
Well it arrived and it is absolutely awesome. It's taking some time to do all the fitting, wiring and connections, of which I am still coming to terms with, its full potential is still yet to be unleashed. I have Sony HS20 projector, DVD player,CD player, Video player, TV, satellite Box,and X box to connect on the in side and all the surround sound and front tower speakers, with 2nd zone on the out side to install. And then there is the RC 5200 programmable Touchscreen remote control. To which all other remotes have to be entered and linked into macros so as to be able to switch various units on at the same time.
I initially installed the CD player and the front tower speakers (which I have to upgrade now) just to listen to the sound it can produce and yes it really is awesome.
My 9 year old daughter described it as "SICK SOUND,DAD"
So the fun has just begun and until all is set up correctly it only gets better from here :D :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
As things get better I will update on all things good and not so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks