What's new

which audio is better (1 Viewer)

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
Feel kind of silly asking, but its a simple question. I sat down to watch Boondock Saints and in the adio setup there are 2 kinds, Dolby Digital and 5.1 Surround, which on is better? I kept flipping and ended up using the Dolby because it sounded louder. My reciever can play 5.1, DTS, Dolby, all that stuff, but which is better, Dolby or 5.1?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Over many discussions here at HTF some have said they hear no difference except DTS seems louder. Others say DTS sounds fuller and more natural. Personally, I tend to always chose DTS when I have both on a DVD. It is my personal preference. However, your ears and equipment might reveal the total opposite.

I should also add, I have never heard anyone state a Dolby Digital versions sounds better than the DTS version. However, many have stated DTS sounds better than the Dolby counterpart.

Therefore, bottom line, you have to listen to both to see which you tend to prefer. ;)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Dolby Digital is capable of reproducing between one and six audio channels. Both soundtracks on Boondock Saints are Dolby soundtracks, but only one is Dolby Digital 5.1 (the second soundtrack on this disc is surround-encoded Dolby Digital 2.0).

If you listen to either then you're listening to a Dolby soundtrack, but the 5.1-channel version is preferable.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks