Which Audio formats are worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'm finally in the market for a receiver and am overwhelmed at the number of surround modes available from different receivers. I just wanted to see what formats do most people find they use/like the most.

I know Dolby 5.1 is pretty much the standard for movies and I'm sure whatever receiver I choose will have it. But what about Dolby Digital EX or THX Surround EX. The receivers I'm looking at don't have those... So does that mean if I play Star wars TPM on an HK 520, there will be no back channel because the receiver doesn't have DD EX decoding?

Why are there receivers with 7.1 pre-amp outs that don't have many formats that support the back channel? Is there a format that artifically creates the back 2 channels from a 5.1 source?

Another question is has anyone listened to surrounds only and compared formats? I was wondering if people could actually tell a difference between matrix and discrete.

I'm thinking of getting the HK 520 and using a 2ch amp for the surrounds but am worried that my DVDs will never use the back channels. Which would be a good reason to buy a 5.1 only receiver and save a bundle of money.

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would make sure that what ever receiver you choose has Prologic II, DTS-ES and DD-EX. THX would be nice but not really necessary. Of course you need to have at least a 6.1 receiver for DTS-ES and DD-EX.

Receivers that have 7.1, output the same effects out of both rear speakers. If you have the room it is nice to have.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The two most important factors here are how many speakers are you looking to drive and how much do you want to pay for the receiver. I recently upgraded from an older Dolby 5.1 receiver to one that does DTS and DPLII. I'm not looking to add any more speakers so I was able to save a few hundred bucks by getting a lower model that didn't include DTS-ES or DD-EX.

4. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

I've had the AVR 520 since last December. This is my second HK. It does not have THX processing but I don't lose sleep over it. The performance has been outstanding and the DTS Neo 6 and Logic 7 are really quite good. The big surprise has been the DPLII Music mode. It is outstanding and I use it exclusively for CD's and satellite music channels. The DSP ambience modes(Hall and Theater) are useless however. I am not particularly concerned about extended audio formats. If it becomes necessary I will buy an amp and make use of the HK's upgrade pre-outs.

5. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Hey Chris,