What's new

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

• Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios

Votes: 114 71.7%

• Total voters

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
haineshisway said:
Another film not available in its theatrical version now is Topaz - and no one knows the film apparently, since no one EVER talks about it. That thing on the Blu-ray (and previously on DVD) is some early preview version, and while it's fun to have the extra footage, that version was never EVER seen in theaters and the theatrical version, whatever one may think of the film itself, plays much tighter and more tautly than the bloated preview version - which is most likely why Mr. Hitchcock made the cuts he did.
Sorry for going off topic again, but "Topaz" is available in a shorter Version in Germany on DVD and Blu-ray. It uses the "suicide ending" and not the "airport ending" from the longer version.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I see that Shane is now listed in iTunes in widescreen. Not sure if it is a typo or if the widescreen master just appeared there.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/shane/id215632626

If anyone have this rented or bought: could you re-download it to check the format? The trailer is in widescreen, but it doesn't mean anything. Just curious if they will release the other master on VOD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HDvision said:
I see that Shane is now listed in iTunes in widescreen. Not sure if it is a typo or if the widescreen master just appeared there.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/shane/id215632626

If anyone have this rented or bought: could you re-download it to check the format? The trailer is in widescreen, but it doesn't mean anything. Just curious if they will release the other master on VOD.
If they rented or bought it, hopefully, they watched it so re-dowloading isn't necessary to answer your question.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Hi Robert,

Previously bought films can be deleted from your hard-drive, and re-downloaded from the "cloud". If a film is a upgraded, usually when you delete the old download and get it again, you get the remastered version. That's one of the advantages of the platform.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HDvision said:
Hi Robert,

Previously bought films can be deleted from your hard-drive, and re-downloaded from the "cloud". If a film is a upgraded, usually when you delete the old download and get it again, you get the remastered version. That's one of the advantages of the platform.
Or disadvantages if you get a re-mastered worse version which can happen, check out The Sword In The Stone for proof of that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My BD has shipped and I will view it immediately once I get my hands on it. One of the more anticipated releases for me in 2013.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
My BD has shipped and I will view it immediately once I get my hands on it. One of the more anticipated releases for me in 2013.
After watching the BD today, I can report how extremely happy I was with the entire video presentation of this great film. It was like viewing it for the first time. An absolutely fine job by Paramount. I will watch the BD again before the week is out in order to listen to the commentary by George Jr. and Ivan Moffat. Man, I was smiling throughout the playing of the entire disc.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
After watching the BD today, I can report how extremely happy I was with the entire video presentation of this great film. It was like viewing it for the first time. An absolutely fine job by Paramount. I will watch the BD again before the week is out in order to listen to the commentary by George Jr. and Ivan Moffat. Man, I was smiling throughout the playing of the entire disc.
Mine shipped today. After reading this I can not be happier. Thank you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I started watching it again this morning with the audio commentary. Some interesting tidbits there.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My 'Shane' is on the way; should be here from Amazon in about 10 days.
I'm happy about the final choice of aspect ratio but I do remember fondly the days when DVDs were issued with 'standard' on one side of the disc and 'widescreen' on the other, which makes sense for those 1952-53 borderline titles.
Another flipper I have with dual ratios is 'The Pyjama Game' (or is that 'Pajama' in the States?) and I do prefer the 4:3 for that one.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
My favorite western as well, although close between Shane and Unforgiven.

Shane on Blu-ray is a revelation. Colors, contrast, everything are spot on. From the snow on the Tetons, to the muddy streets in the town, everything looks fantastic and like film. Watch for the changing light when Tory goes to town and see how magnificently the disc handles even the slightest change in shade. Incredible. I noted the bit rate floating at near 30 Mbps whenever I checked it, and while I realize that isn't the only measure for a good transfer, wow!

I think what I particularly like about Shane is the depth of character. The bad guys aren't all bad (well, maybe except for Wilson), and the good guys have their faults as well. It makes the viewer think a lot more and gives the film staying power. Are guns simply tools? Major debate on that one 60 years later.

It's definitely a thinking persons western and the fact that George Stevens was a WW2 vet who had seen a lot of killing and death undoubtedly had a lot to do with the tone of Shane.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Joe Bernardi said:
My favorite western - it looked great on my 120 inch screen.
While Shane is in the top five, my number one is THE SEARCHERS. The SHANE Blu-ray is outstanding.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the UK, the Masters of Cinema label from Eureka have announced the specs for this month's release of SHANE:

The Special Features for our Masters of Cinema edition of SHANE have been confirmed as follows:

Limited First Run Edition featuring a two Blu-ray set (2000 copies)

• Stunning high-definition restoration in three aspect ratios: The intended 1.37:1 presentation (disc one); the 1.66:1 original theatrical presentation; and an alternate 1.66:1 framing optimised for this ratio, supervised by George Stevens, Jr. (both disc two, limited edition exclusive) • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing • Uncompressed mono and stereo soundtracks • Audio commentary by George Stevens, Jr. and associate producer Ivan Moffat • Video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard • Complete Lux Radio Theater adaptation of Shane • Original theatrical trailer • 36-PAGE BOOKLET featuring writing on the film by critic Penelope Huston, an unpublished interview with Stevens, a treatment for an unfilmed prologue to the film, an essay on the different ratios, and archival imagery.

Standard Edition One-Disc Set (Available once stock of the Limited Edition First Run have been depleted)

Stunning high-definition restoration 1.37:1 presentation • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing • Uncompressed mono and stereo soundtracks • Audio commentary by George Stevens, Jr. and associate producer Ivan Moffat • Video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard • Complete Lux Radio Theater adaptation of Shane • Original theatrical trailer • 28-PAGE BOOKLET featuring writing on the film by critic Penelope Huston, an unpublished interview with Stevens, a treatment for an unfilmed prologue to the film, and archival imagery.

The release date for SHANE has been put back, and will now be released on 30 November 2015. Available to pre-order now http://****/1EgXP2v

This looks like a fabulous release; I expect Bob Furmanek won't be the only one pleased to see a stereo option!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hodson said:
In the UK, the Masters of Cinema label from Eureka have announced the specs for this month's release of SHANE:

The Special Features for our Masters of Cinema edition of SHANE have been confirmed as follows:

Limited First Run Edition featuring a two Blu-ray set (2000 copies)

• Stunning high-definition restoration in three aspect ratios: The intended 1.37:1 presentation (disc one); the 1.66:1 original theatrical presentation; and an alternate 1.66:1 framing optimised for this ratio, supervised by George Stevens, Jr. (both disc two, limited edition exclusive) • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing • Uncompressed mono and stereo soundtracks • Audio commentary by George Stevens, Jr. and associate producer Ivan Moffat • Video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard • Complete Lux Radio Theater adaptation of Shane • Original theatrical trailer • 36-PAGE BOOKLET featuring writing on the film by critic Penelope Huston, an unpublished interview with Stevens, a treatment for an unfilmed prologue to the film, an essay on the different ratios, and archival imagery.

Standard Edition One-Disc Set (Available once stock of the Limited Edition First Run have been depleted)

Stunning high-definition restoration 1.37:1 presentation • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing • Uncompressed mono and stereo soundtracks • Audio commentary by George Stevens, Jr. and associate producer Ivan Moffat • Video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard • Complete Lux Radio Theater adaptation of Shane • Original theatrical trailer • 28-PAGE BOOKLET featuring writing on the film by critic Penelope Huston, an unpublished interview with Stevens, a treatment for an unfilmed prologue to the film, and archival imagery.

The release date for SHANE has been put back, and will now be released on 30 November 2015. Available to pre-order now http://****/1EgXP2v

This looks like a fabulous release; I expect Bob Furmanek won't be the only one pleased to see a stereo option!
I'm not sure this is worthy of a double-dip though?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks