What's new

Which are the best movie theaters in the US? (1 Viewer)

My daughter is traveling for her first time in the USA.

She’s now in the LA and will drive from coast to coast.

Which are best and reference movie theaters which she should look for?

What is the best theater to watch SW 2?

Which theater is the reference movie theater for Lucas?

Is it digital?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If she cruises toward Wichita, KS then I would suggest her to go to the Warren East (it's brand spanking new with all screens each being THX-EX certified).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The theater in Los Angeles that's most frequently mentioned as being the best is the Village in Westwood. I doubt that there's a better theater in the country. Huge screen, fantastic sound system, BIG auditorium with balcony. Many Hollywood premieres take place there, and they are very conscientious of tweaking sound and picture quality to satisfy industry professionals.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
If she's ever in Baltimore, there is only one choice: the Senator. Some magazine recently named it one of the top 60 public places in America, and for good reason. Huge screen, perfect sound and video, and classic art-deco architecture.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well I live near Seattle and I find the Cinerama to be pretty damn amazing. I've only been there once actually, but it was a great experience. I'm planning to go see AOTC ther for a repeat viewing once some of the fever dies down.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Robert is most correct about the Village in Westwood. I might also add: The Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard itself, and toward the south, on Sunset, the one and only Cinerama Dome.

The newly refurbished Egyptian, also on Hollywood, is a hoot. It's where last I saw 2001 in 70mm.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Aside from a few theaters in Florida and Phoenix, I know nothing except Philadelphia theaters.

If you're looking for a nice multiplex, the AMC Neshaminy 24 is a great spot.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Take a look at this thread for information about viewing Star Wars 2 digitally. I'm going to be in L.A. in 2 weeks, and I plan on watching it digitally at the Loews Century Plaza.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I also highly reccomend the 13th ST. Warren In Wichita Kansas.
I waited in line 5 hours Friday morning to get balcony seats for the premier of the new theatre and spiderman.
It was awesome, you have to be 21 to sit in the balcony and they bring drinks of your choice (including wine and champagne) right to your chair. Speaking of chairs they are more like couches, they are huge. The armrests flip up between two seats so you and your honey can snuggle.
The picture quality was top notch. Digital simply cannot touch the PQ I saw Friday night. The picture was very crisp and bright not a scratch on the print.
The sound as mentioned earlier in this thread was top notch THX-EX. IMO this has to be considered one of the top, if not the top theatre in the country.
There was a guy I stood in line with Friday morning that said he had heard that GL himself flew in Thursday night to check it out.
Kevin C. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
We don't necessarily have "reference" movie theaters here in the Boston area, although both the AMC Fenway and Loews Boston Common are very nice, in the "all stadium seating, digital sound" manner (and I've heard great things about the AMC "premium" theater in Framingham, with DLP, valet parking, etc.). I'd recommend checking out the Brattle in Cambridge with its alternative programming (Hitchcock Mondays, anime Thursdays) or Coolidge Corner in Brookline (big screen, spiffy new marquee - a real old-time theater experience).

Also, if your daughter is starting in L.A., check out the "Silent Movie Theater". Never been, but I've heard great things.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I remember reading somewhere, that Lucas takes as reference a theater in LA or Hollywood, which is the reference milestone for THX, and everything is measured up to the sound in this theater.

Can someone help me on this too?

Phil Thron

Second Unit
If she makes her way to Manhattan, The Zeigfeld is an absolute must. It combines the opulance of the movie palaces of yore with state of the art technology. And the screen is huge. Magnificent facility. It's located at 141 West 54th Street, between 6th & 7th Avenues. 212-765-7600. I'm a big fan of the place, obviously. I saw the restored Vertigo there several years ago and it was one of the most incredible moviegoing experiences of my life.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's where Ron Epstein recently saw Episode II. I know that tickets for the movie just went on sale this past Friday...and of course there are already a band of people waiting on line for the best seats...

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I want to second the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. WOW. Incredible.

It's a shame we settle for multiplexes.

John Stockton

Second Unit
If she goes to the Boston area, I highly recommend AMC Framingham 16 theatres in Framingham. Theatre #6 is home to John Allen's HPS-4000 reference theatre. Many including myself consider HPS-4000 superior to THX. Click here for listing of all the HPS-4000 theatres.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The very first THX theater is actually on Lucas's Skywalker Ranch, which is what Lucas considers his reference.

The best theaters are in LA since the industry professionals are there to criticize them if they do bad.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jason mentioned The Silent Movie, which is on Fairfax Avenue, all of three blocks from where I live. It's a specialty house catering, obviously, to the silents enthusiasts. And with a recent change in management, it books early talkies, as well.
They keep running a film, emblazoned on the marquee, I've never heard about though. It's called, Book Your Next Event Here. Searches at IMDb keep yielding a blank for that one. :)
It's not a razzle-dazzle type of commercial cinema. But it's an essential part of the Los Angeles filmgoer's landscape.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I will second any vote for The Senator theater in Baltimore.

When passing through Chicago, McClurg Court downtown is the theater that all others in the area aspire to be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks