What's new

Which and how many PS2 games support widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently trying to justify my need for a Playstation2. :)
After I read that GT3 supports anmorphic widescreen I was wondering how many and which PS2 games support 16x9 TVs.
Thanks,
Bernhard
------------------
My current DVD Collection
Ni !

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
For sure, NCAA 2K2 does. I play it often on my Toshiba TW65X81! It's awesome!!
Also, one of the best games available, SSX does too. Im assuming that NBA Street probably does since it is made by the creators of SSX. That being said, Im sure Madden 2K2 will support it also since NCAA 2K2 does.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
NBA Street does *not* have a 16x9 mode.
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm in the opposite direction: I'm trying to justify buying a widescreen tv. I love movies but, other than that...what actually uses the widescreen aspect ratio?
------------------
"...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that many of the higher profile games will be 16x9. More games have 16x9 than 5.1 cutscenes for PS2. DC and N64 have a lot of 16x9 games.

Jacob Rohrer

Agent
Beatmania II DX 3rd Style, 4th Style, and Drummania all support 16x9.
None of those titles are available domestically however.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
SSX and GT3 are the two I have that support it. And beautifully I might add. Finally got those component inputs for the PS2 and I'm in anamorphic heaven.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
F1 Championship 2001 did, so that series should keep it.
GT3 of course.
Madden 2002 does - with a new camera angle that goes with it (it is awesome)
SSX
Yeah, NBA Street doesn't. Oh well (it still rocks anyway).

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you guys could help me then. After hearing all about GT2 and the support for Widescreen, I tried setting it all up. Here's the layout.
PS2 to Sony Wega XBR with S-video and PS2 to Yamaha Receiver with Optical Cable. This should give me digital video and digital audio.
When I set up GT2 to show wide screen, it squeezes the cars and makes them ALL look compact. Ugliest thing I ever saw.
The TV is already set to auto compress for Anamorphic playback with my DVD player, so shouldn't the PS2 utilize this same setup and keep the Game's Ratios looking appropriate?
I'll be picking up Madden 2002 today to check that one out. Hopefully it will work better.
Kraig

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
First of all, I'm going to assume you mean GT3, instead of GT2...
Second, it's been my experience that games that have a widescreen output do not trigger my tv (projector) into going into Full mode. I have to manually set it into Full to get the proper aspect ratio.
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Right GT3, sorry Joel.
I'll try that when I get home. I didn't think about setting the TV to full. I figured the PS2 would do it. My bad.
Kraig

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
PS2 to Sony Wega XBR with S-video and PS2 to Yamaha Receiver with Optical Cable. This should give me digital video and digital audio.
Digital audio yes, but not digital video. Sorry, it was bugging me. :) It's extremely rare to find a source that outputs digital video in the consumer market.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, regarding "digital video"...if its composite, s-video, component, or VGA (etc) then it's ANALOG. Meaning that the video signal going to the display device is an analog waveform.
It may have started being stored digitally on a DVD or created digitally on a CPU/console, but it goes "out the door" as an analog signal (or several for s-vid, VGA...).
There are some rare devices that will pass digital streams to other devices, but I really can't think of any reasonable consumer DISPLAY device that receives a digital video bitstream.
ANYWAY...
Regarding AUTO-DETECT of anamorphic signals, there are industry standards for placing an ANAMORPHIC MARKER on the analog video stream, which is how sets like your Sony know to switch into squeeze mode on the fly. There are literally ICs in your TV that know how to detect this marker in the waveform (and many only detect on S-Vid or Component, so sometimes your TV will only autoswitch with the right input format if it doesn't have ICs that can detect on all formats).
It's rather rare that videogame consoles modify their signal with this marker when outputting an anamorphic signal, which is why displays don't auto-detect it. The marker just isn't there. And it's also possible for it to be there, but for your display to miss it on, for example, the composite input, but to see it on S-video.
So you have to get off your lazy butt :) and actually press a remote button to switch your (Sony 4:3) set into squeeze mode (or Full for 16:9 sets) when you put games like GT3 or Madden 2002 into widescreen mode. We sure are getting soft when are biggest trouble is that the set doesn't auto-switch into 16:9 mode.
biggrin.gif
It's amazing how sweet home entertainment has become.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks